[SOLVED] Irregularly Slow Internet on Specific PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

It'sTheChef

Reputable
Nov 12, 2019
I've been having issues with the internet connection on my main desktop PC - at random times throughout the day, speeds will slow down to basically zero, if I'm lucky getting up to around 1mb/s, compared to roughly 20mb/s when running properly.

It's only for this computer as well, I've checked both my laptop and my phone, and they've still had great connection speeds at the same time my main PC can't even load a single image. I'm also certain it's not traffic related as this will even happen at 2am and any other time of day or night, again, seemingly randomly.

Drivers for my network adapter are up to date, and I've already performed anti-virus and anti-malware scans
Adapter: (TP-Link TL-WN823N Mini Wireless N300 USB Adapter)
I'm suspicious it might just be a poor quality product, but the connection works as it should about 70% of the time, rather than 0% of the time, and it has reasonably decent reviews, so I'm not certain it's the problem, if I was I'd just buy another adapter and I wouldn't be here

I'd really appreciate some suggestions to help nail down what's causing it, as it makes both gaming and study frustrating endeavours.
Thanks in advance

Solution
Are you sure that any wired network adapters on the main PC are disabled?

Only one network adapter (wired or wireless) should be enabled.

And feel the wireless adapter first before you turn on your PC and then again (feel carefully) after booting and connecting to the network. If the adapter gets very warm and even hot it is probably failing.

Try using a USB extension cable to move the USB wireless adapter up and away from the back of your PC. Doing so may improve reception/transmission and cooling.

Ralston18

Titan

And feel the wireless adapter first before you turn on your PC and then again (feel carefully) after booting and connecting to the network. If the adapter gets very warm and even hot it is probably failing.

Try using a USB extension cable to move the USB wireless adapter up and away from the back of your PC. Doing so may improve reception/transmission and cooling.

Solution

It'sTheChef

Reputable
Nov 12, 2019

I thought that the overheating could be the reason, but I let it sit unconnected for a whole day, and as soon as I plugged it back in and immediately checked my connection, it was still just as poor as before, I did also move it to the port on top of my PC, but unfortunately saw no increase in reception.

But I think I did determine the issue - my router outputs 2 channels, of both 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands, however as far as I can tell my adapter can only pick up the 2.4GHz band (using the adapter on my laptop immediately brought this issue to my attention). And with a bit of research I also found that my adapter settings cannot be altered to allow it to receive 5GHz, so it turns out I will need a new adapter, but not because this one is broken, only because for some reason, this particular band fluctuates wildly, and that kinda makes this particular adapter useless (was fine for my old router/internet plan though)

I'm aware this can probably be fixed temporarily via the router, and I'll give that a go in the meantime, but I'll be buying a new adapter anyway, since the peak speed on the 5GHz band is almost triple that of the 2.4GHz (tested on my laptop) and I might as well use it.

you are checking your gear but you could be missing the obvious , have you got something running in the background that you don't know about. look in start menu and add/remove for anything you don't recognise , just because scans don't find anything does not mean a pup is not running. if using w10 look at add/remove then click on the old style programs/features tab because 10 does not always show everything in main list.

Status
Not open for further replies.