[SOLVED] Is 12 Cores Useful For Video Rendering and Editing?

xxscienceboyxx

Honorable
Nov 30, 2018
Hello,
Recently I got a very good for the 12 core processor, 3900x, at $400. I bought it, because I am building a computer currently and a $400 CPU fits into budget.
I know that a 12 core CPU is very overkill for gaming, but anyway I'm not building a solely gaming PC. Additionally, the games I'll be playing are Minecraft, Spore, and Roblox. Not really any demanding games.
What I will be doing however is 3D modelling, rendering scenes in Blender(GPU), video editing, and video rendering(CPU) with my new computer.
Is 12 cores good enough for these kinds of tasks? Is it worth $400, instead of me getting a $450 5800x or a $300 3700x?

Also, is video rendering significantly faster than that of a 8 core CPU? If it isn't, what are some others things that 12 cores can help with?

Solution
I got me a good deal on 1950x 16 core 32 chip and it was a night and day difference coming from my i7 5960x which is a 8 core 16 thread chip when it comes to video editing and rendering. Now if you do the occasional video editing, then I wouldn't really go out of my way to get a high core count CPU, it is nice but I mean an 8 core 16 thread chip will do just fine and probably wouldn't be worth the money to upgrade and just wait it out until you find something cheap that is an upgrade.
Check out each program you intend to use for rendering/editing and see if they can utilize 12 cores. Even if they can, you may only be talking about several seconds difference, maybe a minute in extreme cases.

So, the question comes back to you. How valuable are those 'several seconds' to you? Will you be constantly rendering/editing so they add up to a substantial amount?

Gaming benefits most from raw MHz and IPC. If gaming is important to you, it may be better to get a faster CPU than one with more cores.

I got me a good deal on 1950x 16 core 32 chip and it was a night and day difference coming from my i7 5960x which is a 8 core 16 thread chip when it comes to video editing and rendering. Now if you do the occasional video editing, then I wouldn't really go out of my way to get a high core count CPU, it is nice but I mean an 8 core 16 thread chip will do just fine and probably wouldn't be worth the money to upgrade and just wait it out until you find something cheap that is an upgrade.

Solution

xxscienceboyxx

Honorable
Nov 30, 2018
All the things that I wrote I'll do in my first post are things I'll do occasionally. But the computer is meant to last me at least 4 more years so it should be fine for anything I'd want to do in the future.

Last edited: