[SOLVED] Is 180w psu compatible with gtx 1050 ti 4gb?

Feb 23, 2020
i've been thinking of upgrading my cheap pc with a gtx 1050ti 4gb and wanted to make sure if this psu is compatible with this gpu

Solution
Hi @Reeegtx

1st off, Welcome to the forums!

Unfortunately, 180w more than likely won't cut it, especially if as you said, you have a cheap PC. While that GPU does not require an extra power cable, nVidia still advises a minimum of 300w for the 1050ti.

Whats the exact make & model of PSU you currently have? I take it you have an older pre-made PC like a Dell or HP? Whats the rest of your systems specs?

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Hi @Reeegtx

Unfortunately, 180w more than likely won't cut it, especially if as you said, you have a cheap PC. While that GPU does not require an extra power cable, nVidia still advises a minimum of 300w for the 1050ti.

Whats the exact make & model of PSU you currently have? I take it you have an older pre-made PC like a Dell or HP? Whats the rest of your systems specs?

Solution
Hi @Reeegtx

PSU minimums really assume that either the rest of your system is power hungry or you have a crappy PSU. The GT 1030 also recommends 300W, but I was able to run it on 240W for a whole year without issues.
At full load, I'd guess 100W for the CPU and then 75W for the GPU. So it will work if you don't load everything up at the same time (drives, fans, etc.). Still, it's definitely not recommended.

But that is an important question: what is the prebuilt you are running?

Feb 23, 2020
Hi @Reeegtx

i have an hp pavilion 590-p0040 with a ryzen 5 2400g also is the psu in this computer changeable?

Feb 23, 2020
Hi @Reeegtx

PSU minimums really assume that either the rest of your system is power hungry or you have a crappy PSU. The GT 1030 also recommends 300W, but I was able to run it on 240W for a whole year without issues.
At full load, I'd guess 100W for the CPU and then 75W for the GPU. So it will work if you don't load everything up at the same time (drives, fans, etc.). Still, it's definitely not recommended.

But that is an important question: what is the prebuilt you are running?
the prebuilt im running is an hp pavilion 590- p0040

You should just get a new PSU. I really wouldn't recommend putting a 1050 TI in there. Also, if you got a PSU upgrade, you could get an RX 570 instead, which performs better at the same or a cheaper price.
Do this, as long as your prebuilts motherboard has standard 24 pin atx and 8/4 pin eps, and your psu is also standard atx. Some prebuilts will use proprietary connectors like 10 pins or 12 pins. Some also have psus which are smaller than atx, meaning an atx form factor psu wouldn't fit. If thats the case, there is little you can do.

Reactions: King_V

Insane Potatoz

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019
2x4 pin Eps is actually standard on psus, but you'll need one that supports 2 eps plugs since the two 4 pin eps sockets are on opposite parts of the board. You may also need to do the paper clip trick on the 24 pin atx connector to get it to actually supply power.
Yeah I know that some PSUs come with 2 4pin connectors but I’ve only seen them on high-end PSUs.
Could he maybe just get a 4 pin extender and get a PSU that has a 4+4 pin so he can just extend the other 4 pin? Does what I’m saying even make sense?

Yeah I know that some PSUs come with 2 4pin connectors but I’ve only seen them on high-end PSUs.
Could he maybe just get a 4 pin extender and get a PSU that has a 4+4 pin so he can just extend the other 4 pin? Does what I’m saying even make sense?
PSU extensions are possible. And I do agree that they (2x8pin EPS) only really exist on higher end more expensive units.