[SOLVED] is 4000mhz ram worth getting?

Solution
thank you

problem is the rgb 3200mhz i have seen are more expensive than the 4000mhz.
It depends a bit more on just speed the cas also factors in.

In general with Intel 3200/3600 is about the sweet spot you can use faster depending on the cas if you see any real improvement for gaming it usually just help the 1% low FPS.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
whats difference between cl16 and cl17?
A bit on that 3200 with 16 cas would in theory be the same as 3600 memory with 18 cas both like 10ns but the 3600 should actually perform better by a small bit.

EDIT this might also help remember if it's a tie in ns then the faster clock speed wins by a bit.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAS_latency

Last edited:
Reactions: froggy8

froggy8

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
A bit on that 3200 with 16 cas would in theory be the same as 3600 memory with 18 cas both like 10ns but the 3600 should actually perform better by a small bit.

EDIT this might also help remember if it's a tie in ns then the faster clock speed wins by a bit.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAS_latency
many thanks

just had a look on the 4000mhz one and the latency for that is cl19 so not that great.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
many thanks

just had a look on the 4000mhz one and the latency for that is cl19 so not that great.
Don't overthink it like has already been stated for Intel it's not as memory speed dependent as AMD.
I'm using 3200 16 cas with my 10600k if you can get 3600 16 cas for a decent price then your getting some performance gain but as far a gaming goes your going to get about the same FPS might be a couple difference the most change would be in the 1% low FPS that nobody really notices anyhow.

If your running memory intensive work programs it could make a bit more difference.

Your first consideration is to get sufficient ram for your needs now and for the possible future.
Upgrading ram by addition does not always work well.

Actual app performance(not synthetic benchmarks) does not seem to be impacted on intel if you are not using integrated graphics.
I have been researching this for an upgrade to my son's pc.
My instinct is to buy the fastest ram available if you have no budget restrictions.
But, all of the tests I have seen show very little benefit.
This older test shows very little difference between 2133 and 3000 speed ram. Think 1%'https://silentpcreview.com/skylake-memory-scaling-with-kingston-predator-ddr4-3000/

On the timings numbers, if you divide the cas into the speed, you will get a number like 200.
The 4000 bargain ram will likely have a higher cas timing of 19.
At equal speed, lower cas is better.

I think I might end up with 32gb 3600 speed cas 16.

animekenji

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010
i have got the b560 asrock steel legend and i5 11500 cpu. the ram is rgb by corsair and the seller said i have have them for 80 pound posted.

Will a B chipset motherboard work at the full rated speed of the RAM, though? That's the big question. You could buy the RAM and put it in, and find that it runs the memory at a much lower speed than it is capable of reaching.

froggy8

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
Your first consideration is to get sufficient ram for your needs now and for the possible future.
Upgrading ram by addition does not always work well.

Actual app performance(not synthetic benchmarks) does not seem to be impacted on intel if you are not using integrated graphics.
I have been researching this for an upgrade to my son's pc.
My instinct is to buy the fastest ram available if you have no budget restrictions.
But, all of the tests I have seen show very little benefit.
This older test shows very little difference between 2133 and 3000 speed ram. Think 1%'https://silentpcreview.com/skylake-memory-scaling-with-kingston-predator-ddr4-3000/

On the timings numbers, if you divide the cas into the speed, you will get a number like 200.
The 4000 bargain ram will likely have a higher cas timing of 19.
At equal speed, lower cas is better.

I think I might end up with 32gb 3600 speed cas 16.
i will be using the integrated graphics, will that affect my performance?

logainofhades

Titan
sorry only just realised they are both the same.

are ballistic good brand?

Crucial is a division of Micron, one of the few companies that actually makes ram chips. Most other brands it is kind of like the lottery if you are going to get Samsung, Micron, or Hynix, without a ton of research. Crucial, you always get Micron. I have a 32gb kit of Crucial 3600 myself.