Is 4k worth it?

Nov 5, 2014
So, I've been looking for a fairly large display I came across a good G-Sync 4K 28 inch Acer monitor. It was a little out of my price range, but my main concern is if it is worth it. I'm debating if I want a 1440p or 4K monitor, if I get a 4K I would need to 4-way SLI a GTX 980 to get full performance (according to the GeForce website 'help me choose' tool). If I choose the 1440p option, I only need to 2-way SLI a GTX 980 for full preformance. Is there actually a noticeable difference between 1440p and 4K that I should worry about?

Solution
any monitor at any resolution can have 1ms gtg response time it is just a matter of there being a market for it. the 1080p market is fully mature so you can find plenty. 1440p is just coming around finally and starting to become mainstream.

4k is the new thing and we will see this market fill out in the next year or so I hope. The GPu power is finally getting there so I would expect it to happen.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236338

above is a 4k monitor with the same response time as the previous 1440p.

It is all about how much do you want to spend.

like I said earlier with the most recent games coming out 4k is barely breaking 30-40fps on some of these games so the time is just not quite here yet...

fkr

Splendid
yes there is a huge difference going to 4k,

but the performance needed is just not worth it. very few games scale well to 3-4 GPU's.

a gysync 1440 at 144hz is the top of the game right now that can really be enjoyed across all games

fkr

Splendid

all games can use 4k it is just a resolution change (a couple have issues but there are always taken care of), it just takes to much performance and GPU scaling sucks past 2 cards

tical2399

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009

Nope. While 4k monitors/tvs are pretty common, some still only run at 30 fps. GPUs are not strong enough to get 60 fps in all games at all times in 4k (even sli 980s). To really get there you gonna need at least 3 way xfire.sli and thats IF the cards scale well. Go 1440 p now and jump into 4k in a few years when all the kinks are worked out.

King_Barrion

Reputable
Jun 29, 2014

No, the cost to performance ratio is pretty bad. Plus there are many monitors that are capped out at a "Cinematic Frame Rate", AKA 30fps. Even if you could run the monitor with the graphics cards, the gaming performance would be woefully inadequate.

tical2399

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009

Looks good, but i'm lazy so no oc for me. I'll wait til another company launches a native 1440p 120 or better hz monitor. With the rog swift out, other companies will follow suit. Once its a few on the market they will reach respectable prices.

Nov 5, 2014

Only difference to this versus the 4K is that this is 1440p (less lag etc.) and the 4K had greater resolution but a ton more lag, right?

In theory: 1440p is better than 4K for less lag, better performance without sacrificing major quality and resolution?

Any who, I found a monitor that I would like, thank you all for helping me!

fkr

Splendid
any monitor at any resolution can have 1ms gtg response time it is just a matter of there being a market for it. the 1080p market is fully mature so you can find plenty. 1440p is just coming around finally and starting to become mainstream.

4k is the new thing and we will see this market fill out in the next year or so I hope. The GPu power is finally getting there so I would expect it to happen.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236338

above is a 4k monitor with the same response time as the previous 1440p.

It is all about how much do you want to spend.

like I said earlier with the most recent games coming out 4k is barely breaking 30-40fps on some of these games so the time is just not quite here yet.

1440 is half the resolution of 4k so it is still a big jump but 1440p is twice that of 1080 so.

anyway I will never go back to 1080 for gaming now (I still have 2 1080 monitors hooked up with the center 1440)

Solution

TRENDING THREADS