[SOLVED] Is 512GB SSD enough for a Boot Drive and Photoshop scratch Disk?

bestremera

Reputable
Oct 20, 2019
I do Photoshop retouching but need to buy a new computer. When configuring the hard drive(s) on my new computer, my question is this: I can save a good deal of money by configuring the computer with a 512GB SSD plus 1TB spinner compared to a 1TB SSD alone. It seems that 512 would be plenty large enough for all my programs and the Photoshop Scratch Disk. The actual image files, etc. can go on the 1TB drive. The SSD would be reserved for startup up Windows, using Office 365 and graphics programs. Is my strategy correct?
Thanks, Bob

bestremera

Reputable
Oct 20, 2019
This is a desktop XPS 8930 from Dell. I've had Dell computers for many years and have had good luck with them. It's a pretty configurable unit but I need to contain the costs, as much is reasonable, with the initial purchase. Thanks USAF.

bestremera

Reputable
Oct 20, 2019
The option at Dell is for another $150 (over the 512SSD/1TB HDD option) I can get a full 1TB SSD. It sounds like, for the $150, this is really the most cost effective and better option?

bestremera

Reputable
Oct 20, 2019
I'm pretty much going by the options on this model that Dell is offering. I know if I was configuring my own desktop all the options would be different. But I really don't need more main disk space than 1TB for files that I'll be working on that are current. Once I complete a file it will go into my backup externals. I know I'm on the cusp of HDDs becoming almost if not completely obsolete. but right now, large HDDs will be for backup.