[SOLVED] is 550 watt psu enough for this build

Solution
You certainly don't want that CPU cooler you had outlined, or for that level of build, that power supply. You also don't want to use a slow 5400rpm drive in anything but a laptop or external enclosure, and not even in those if you can avoid it.

Unless you're building in a very small form factor case, where a blower type card might be useful, or are planning to do a water cooled loop to the card and need the reference model PC board, I wouldn't recommend a reference style card either.

If you have Windows 10 NOW, on an existing system, that you don't intend to continue using WITH that Windows installation, then there is no need to purchase a new Windows license. If however you intend to keep using it with the existing installation of...
Ok, here's my feedback. There is no build at that link, because we do not have your browser cookies on our machines. You need to copy and paste the bbcode here. The bbcode option can be found directly above the build, or post the permalink which is public.

Oct 16, 2019
If anything, it is good enough build, but i would still want to get better and more powerful PSU. Probably 650W 80+ Gold will be enough if you are not planning to make future upgrades or heavy overclocks, and the higher PSU power will bring stability to your system overall, as well as keeping it quieter at lower load (when not gaming).

Dec 23, 2018
If anything, it is good enough build, but i would still want to get better and more powerful PSU. Probably 650W 80+ Gold will be enough if you are not planning to make future upgrades or heavy overclocks, and the higher PSU power will bring stability to your system overall, as well as keeping it quieter at lower load (when not gaming).
do you think the 550 would hold me off until i get a more powerful psu though?

Oct 16, 2019
If you already purchased it, then yes it can hold on for normal usage with no upgrades and no overclocks, if you didn't purchase yet there are not too many pricier better PSUs, so you should look to get a better one to purchase.

Oct 16, 2019
Looking through your parts list again, i noticed you have 2 x HDD of 1 TB and 2 TB. If this is a purchase list and you are not really in need of such a high storage demands, i would cut one of those HDDs and invest the money in better PSU

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tGTyP3

Power Supply: SeaSonic S12III 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($66.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $66.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-20 19:48 EDT-0400

Get this one.

Do NOT get that one. That is a HORRIFIC bad power supply, for carrying the Seasonic label. Absolute garbage, not even MADE by Seasonic, but a third party manufacturer known for poor quality that Seasonic has farmed some of it's low cost platforms out to lately and are miserable examples, can't be recommended.

There is much I see wrong with that build. If you are interested, I will be happy to nit pick it for you and help you to avoid a bunch of avoidable mistakes. It would be helpful if you could post the bbcode for the build though, so I can edit the build without having to ADD every single part you have in it, just to do so. The bbcode option is a button found above the build when you are editing it. Clicking it will bring up a box filled with code. If you copy and paste that code into your post here, it will show up as formatted, neat text, with a link to an identical build that can be edited but will not affect YOUR saved build at all.

It would also be helpful to know, for sure, what country you are in and what you maximum allowable budget is, so that if a a much better part can be included that maybe costs a few bucks more, or less, that can be factored in as well.

bignastyid

Titan
The CX550 will be fine for that build. Also ditch that cheap cooler, it's no better than the stock intel cooler. However
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($194.79 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($69.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: HP EX900 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($56.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar 7K3000 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($35.00 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 8 GB PULSE Video Card ($359.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Enermax Thorex ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Antec Earthwatts Gold Pro 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($79.98 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($99.95 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Dell D2719HGF 27.0" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor ($200.99 @ Newegg)
Keyboard: Redragon DEVARAIAS K556 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard ($59.89 @ Amazon)
Mouse: Redragon COBRA M711 Wired Optical Mouse ($19.87 @ Amazon)
Headphones: Audio-Technica ATH-M30x Headphones ($69.00 @ Amazon)
Total: $1381.42
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-21 09:25 EDT-0400

You certainly don't want that CPU cooler you had outlined, or for that level of build, that power supply. You also don't want to use a slow 5400rpm drive in anything but a laptop or external enclosure, and not even in those if you can avoid it.

Unless you're building in a very small form factor case, where a blower type card might be useful, or are planning to do a water cooled loop to the card and need the reference model PC board, I wouldn't recommend a reference style card either.

If you have Windows 10 NOW, on an existing system, that you don't intend to continue using WITH that Windows installation, then there is no need to purchase a new Windows license. If however you intend to keep using it with the existing installation of Windows, then would be necessary.

I'll assume you need to add a new Windows license, but if you don't, then that would save you another 100 bucks. If you have ANY legitimate Windows 7 or 8/8.1 license that is not being used, that could be used to activate a Windows 10 installation as well. So far, I have not seen any legitimately licensed copy of Windows 7 or 8 that when it's product key was used to activate a new installation of Windows 10, did not work, so long as that license wasn't already used to activate a DIFFERENT installation of Windows 10.

Bignasty's build above is a very good option. This is another. I think there are a few changes worth doing here. I might also consider changing out those Audio Technica headphones for some Sennheiser's, that can be had, much better, for about ten to twenty bucks more.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-9400F 2.9 GHz 6-Core Processor ($144.99 @ Best Buy)
Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Pro4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($114.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($64.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: ADATA XPG SX6000 Pro 256 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($43.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 8 GB PULSE Video Card ($376.83 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Antec Earthwatts Gold Pro 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($79.98 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($99.89 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: ViewSonic XG2701 27.0" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor ($219.99 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: Redragon DEVARAIAS K556 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard ($59.89 @ Amazon)
Mouse: Redragon COBRA M711 Wired Optical Mouse ($19.87 @ Amazon)
Headphones: Audio-Technica ATH-M30x Headphones ($69.00 @ Amazon)
Total: $1384.18
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-21 14:39 EDT-0400

Solution
Dec 23, 2018
Interesting to see how "money is tight" yet there's enough to buy a gaming keyboard as opposed to a good quality power supply..
I already have the keyboard and mouse monitor and the 1tb hardrive from my previous build brother. And the cpu and cpu cooler is being given to me from a friend, aswell as the psu. I was just curious as to if the psu hes giving me is enough for this build.

Technically, it does not meet the minimum recommendation for that graphics card, according to the recommendations on the XFX product page.

https://www.xfxforce.com/gpus/radeon-tm-rx-5700-8gb-gddr6-3xdp-hdmi-only-at-best-buy

Considering the known quality of the CXm units, it's probably not one I'd recommend to use with it, especially since it's already seen some miles and a few trips around the block. If it was a VERY good 550w unit, I'd have no problems with that. Since it is a decent but budget model, and used, you can certainly USE it temporarily but I'd make plans, in short order, to replace it with something better or something similar in a higher capacity like the gray label CX or CXm 650w unit. The units suggested in the builds above would be MUCH more appropriate, and better options.

I already have the keyboard and mouse monitor and the 1tb hardrive from my previous build brother. And the cpu and cpu cooler is being given to me from a friend, aswell as the psu. I was just curious as to if the psu hes giving me is enough for this build.

Fair enough. No, that PSU isn't really recommended, a good quality 650w Corsair, Seasonic, that'd be what I'd be shooting for with that build.