[SOLVED] Is 61 degrees C normal for idling in the bios?

May 14, 2022
I'm new to building computers and I thought that 61 seemed pretty hot for my cpu while idling. I have the Ryzen 5 5600X with the stock cooler and two fans that came with my case. Is this normal or do I need more cooling or something?

Solution
What a nonsense!
55C in BIOS is absolutely not a normal temperature.
10C over ambient room temperature max.

May be only on a heavily overclocked system.
it doesnt have to be overclocked, most mainboards runs CPU on high cpu load to help you with fan profiles, temperatures in bios are really close to what you can expect during gaming and 3000/5000 serie is harder to cool than anything else

side story:
mine mainboard bios doesnt show me cpu temperature at all (Tctl), it shows just mainboard sensor which sits near cpu, calls it cpu temperature which is something like 30-35C? no matter cpu load, but bios fan profiles reacts to Tctl, not to this lame cooled sensor

so umm, seeing high cpu temperature (50C+) in bios on ryzen...
May 14, 2022
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X
GPU: RTX 3060
Motherboard: Asus prime B550M-A (wi-fi)
RAM: Corsair vengeance 16gb (8x2)
Case: Corsair carbide series 200R
Power supply: EVGA BQ (600W)
Storage: N/A

GPU: RTX 3060
Case: Corsair carbide series 200R
Oh - that's a terrible case for airflow. Completely closed front.
Not really suitable for gaming grade components.
Your system with high power components inside is suffocating.

Get a better case for sure. With mesh front.

-CC-9011023-WW-Gallery-200R-001.png

Last edited:

KyaraM

Admirable
Those can be normal temps in BIOS. Go into Windows (or Linux), install HWInfo, and then see how temps are. That's the only thing you have to care about unless your CPU is overheating in BIOS.

Btw, I had a similar case from the Carbide series before, it was fine. Frint meshes are cool and all, but not as necessary as people think. Does your case have an open top? That can help a lot with airflow for installing more fans.

Edit: namely, I had the Corsair Carbide 200r with two fan slots at the side, though I never installed anything there.

Last edited:
What a nonsense!
55C in BIOS is absolutely not a normal temperature.
10C over ambient room temperature max.

May be only on a heavily overclocked system.
it doesnt have to be overclocked, most mainboards runs CPU on high cpu load to help you with fan profiles, temperatures in bios are really close to what you can expect during gaming and 3000/5000 serie is harder to cool than anything else

side story:
mine mainboard bios doesnt show me cpu temperature at all (Tctl), it shows just mainboard sensor which sits near cpu, calls it cpu temperature which is something like 30-35C? no matter cpu load, but bios fan profiles reacts to Tctl, not to this lame cooled sensor

so umm, seeing high cpu temperature (50C+) in bios on ryzen 3000/5000 is okay and expected even with 360mm aio, you dont want to see 90C, thats a big no no

Last edited:
Reactions: KyaraM
Solution