Question Is 80 celsius normal for gaming session?

WildCard999

Titan
It's about the max safe temp for that GPU, if it gets into the mid 80's then you'll experience some thermal throttling (lowering performance to keep from overheating) to prevent damage.

Creating a aggressive fan curve with a program such as MSI Afterburner could help keep temps down as well as cleaning the dust from it and if it's been awhile then replacing the thermal paste could lower it a few degrees.

Reactions: jaymes2015

jaymes2015

Honorable
Nov 29, 2015
Ok. I got 4 Corsair AF140 running in the tower. It dropped my motherboard from 60 celsius down to 54 celsius but the GPU temperature remains the same. I got so many 140mm fans running already but no GPU drops. Can I bring down the GPU temperature with just fans? Or how can?

WildCard999

Titan
Ok. I got 4 Corsair AF140 running in the tower. It dropped my motherboard from 60 celsius down to 54 celsius but the GPU temperature remains the same. I got so many 140mm fans running already but no GPU drops. Can I bring down the GPU temperature with just fans? Or how can?
I edited the post above, it can be lowered via fan curve, cleaning & replacing the paste. However, 80C is still safe and the card isn't throttling due to heat.

WildCard999

Titan
Ok ok. Fan curve adjusting is pretty much increasing the fan speed right? I did googled fan curve and it seems to only raises the bar.
It can help keep it cooler but yes the fans will run faster. Lets say for example that it runs at 80% at 80C you could increase it from 80% to 100% which should drop it a little bit but may end up being a bit louder.

Also if your in a warm climate your GPU temps will be a bit higher.

jaymes2015

Honorable
Nov 29, 2015
It can help keep it cooler but yes the fans will run faster. Lets say for example that it runs at 80% at 80C you could increase it from 80% to 100% which should drop it a little bit but may end up being a bit louder.

Ok. I see what you’re saying.

Well, let me ask a question followed by that: if I boost up the fan speed to 100%, can I shorten the GPU lifespan or do harm of any kind to the GPU?

WildCard999

Titan
Ok. I see what you’re saying.

Well, let me ask a question followed by that: if I boost up the fan speed to 100%, can I shorten the GPU lifespan or do harm of any kind to the GPU?
No, the only thing you could do is wear down the fan bearings but if you setup the curve correctly it will be only at 100% while gaming/benchmark.

That being said I do have a few friends who keep there fans at 100% all the time and have never run into issues such as the fans breaking before they upgrade (usually have the cards for 3-4 years).