Question Is a 430w power supply enough?

1godra

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2016
My computer setup right now is
AMD Ryzen 5 1600 cpu
20gb ram(dont ask me how it just says that in the pc properties)
2 sata ssd's
current gcard is AMD RX 560 4GB but i have an amd RX 480 8GB
Will my current 430w power supply be enough for my rx 480 8gb it is not overclocked and neither is my cpu.

While 450W is the de-facto strict minimum for a computer with a dedicated GPU like the RX 480 (Google told me that), I think you would be ok with your current 430W PSU if you are not going to play heavy games or run apps requiring high GPU usage.

1godra

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2016
i was gonna be playing games like skyrim vr,skyrim,elite dangerous,elder scrolls oblivion, Morrwind, games like that

DSzymborski

Titan
What exact 430W PSU? While I would ask anyway, seeing 430W is especially worrisome because that frequently means a junky group-regulated Corsair CX 430 that hasn't been made in a decade. I would not run an RX 480 on that unless I simply didn't care about the RX 480.

1godra

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2016
I dont know the exact brand i just know its a 430w power supply with a 6pin pcie plug and 2 4 pincs for the cpu and 24 pins for the motherboard

i was gonna be playing games like skyrim vr,skyrim,elite dangerous,elder scrolls oblivion, Morrwind, games like that

It's hard to say whether the PSU is adequate for your usage as many factors are involved, but as long as you don't encounter sudden freeze or occasional BSOD while playing the games, your computer is likely to be fine.

DSzymborski

Titan
I dont know the exact brand i just know its a 430w power supply with a 6pin pcie plug and 2 4 pincs for the cpu and 24 pins for the motherboard

Well, you need to know. Look at the PSU, there will be a label on it and a a chart. This is important. At least if you if you want to own this PC for any period of time and would like to avoid the acrid scent of burnt electronics.