[SOLVED] Is a 450w Psu enough

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 18, 2020
So I am thinking to put a XFX RX 570 in my pc. I have a 450w Corsair in my pc, and was wondering if it would be enough. My specs are

Mobo: Intel mahobay
Ram: 2 sticks, 1 kingston 4 gb and 1 crucial 8gb DDR3
Cpu: Core i7 2600k
Graphics: Onboard, planning to disable for GPU
HDD: WD 500gb sata
OD: DVD/rw

Thanks for any help

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
It's not a great idea.
Yes along with the fact the PSU is huffing and puffing to provide juice to those pricey components and eventually the PSU will blow up a component and if not that then the life span of your components won't be great. But before components die the PSU will die then you get a new one and your running it on hardware that has been abused by a low end 450w PSU and what not.😲💯🖐☮👌🤷‍♀️

Yes along with the fact the PSU is huffing and puffing to provide juice to those pricey components and eventually the PSU will blow up a component and if not that then the life span of your components won't be great. But before components die the PSU will die then you get a new one and your running it on hardware that has been abused by a low end 450w PSU and what not.😲💯🖐☮👌🤷‍♀️
don't worry, 450w is enough to run my components. I've seen people on tom's complain about PSUs so much, I bet you wouldn't be satisfied if I had a $1000 psu. Ofc it's best to be safe but at one point you're just wasting money. You guys are quick to recommend 1 or 2 PSU that may not even be available, the rest is mostly trash to you.

I game like 3h/day at most, that's the only time my system actually pulls any power, rest of the day is just normal usage. I don't see any reason to spend more money on a psu than what my GPU is worth. Stop treating an RX 570 like an RX 5700.

I've been running this sytem on this psu for half an year, I'll eventually upgrade to fit an RTX 30-series card but I'm 100% sure my current psu can run an OC RX 570, it's stupid to think it cant. it's not as if I'm hitting the cap on my PSU, It's barely at 50% usage.

Last edited:

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
It is a good quality PSU you have from Corsair but it is their low end budget model. It will be ok Im just concerned in the long run what kind of effect it will have on your 570 card you invested in or your other parts. I know it is single rail the what ampage on that 12v railing is not going to be some extreme ammount. If you overclock that 2600k then I would consider a new PSU for the 570 and you can OC her to act like a 580 so youll be set. Just buy a EVGA 550w 80+ Bronze or go 650 or 750w if you plan on getting a new video card while you have that build after the 570 and what not.🤷‍♀️👌☮🖐💯😲

don't worry, 450w is enough to run my components. I've seen people on tom's complain about PSUs so much, I bet you wouldn't be satisfied if I had a $1000 psu. Ofc it's best to be safe but at one point you're just wasting money. You guys are quick to recommend 1 or 2 PSU that may not even be available, the rest is mostly trash to you.

I game like 3h/day at most, that's the only time my system actually pulls any power, rest of the day is just normal usage. I don't see any reason to spend more money on a psu than what my GPU is worth. Stop treating an RX 570 like an RX 5700.

I've been running this sytem on this psu for half an year, I'll eventually upgrade to fit an RTX 30-series card but I'm 100% sure my current psu can run an OC RX 570, it's stupid to think it cant. it's not as if I'm hitting the cap on my PSU, It's barely at 50% usage.

Your logic is flawed seriously.

It's like saying that if I've previously used a 400W Diablotek in the past and it didn't blow up I should recommend it to people.

You're also just comparing PSUs based on wattage. It's more than that... components quality, ripple, transients, voltage stability and others are far more important than just "how much wattage" it has. That's why you see some "500W" PSUs fail under 200W loads even though it's barely at "40% usage".

And yes we complain when people get a $1000 build and chuck in the cheapest, lowest quality PSU they can find... they also think like you do: "It has X amount of wattage, surely it's enough".

There are people on these forums that dedicated a lot of time to testing and even designing PSUs. You can take their word or you can do you.

We just give recommendations, no one's forcing you to buy anything, that's solely your decision.

My CPU Draws 70w and GPU draws 125w during gaming

From where are you getting those numbers?
An overclocked RX 570 can have peaks of over 200W even when gaming.

TLDR: You can't just recommend a power supply to people just based on the fact that it worked for you half a year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pickachu

DSzymborski

Titan

Great, upload the images of the data you collected when testing the crossloads upon overclocking and link them here. I'll hang on the line.

Your logic is flawed seriously.

It's like saying that if I've previously used a 400W Diablotek in the past and it didn't blow up I should recommend it to people.

You're also just comparing PSUs based on wattage. It's more than that... components quality, ripple, transients, voltage stability and others are far more important than just "how much wattage" it has. That's why you see some "500W" PSUs fail under 200W loads even though it's barely at "40% usage".

And yes we complain when people get a $1000 build and chuck in the cheapest, lowest quality PSU they can find... they also think like you do: "It has X amount of wattage, surely it's enough".

There are people on these forums that dedicated a lot of time to testing and even designing PSUs. You can take their word or you can do you.

We just give recommendations, no one's forcing you to buy anything, that's solely your decision.

From where are you getting those numbers?
An overclocked RX 570 can have peaks of over 200W even when gaming.

TLDR: You can't just recommend a power supply to people just based on the fact that it worked for you half a year.
and you can't stop someone from buying a PSU just because you think there's better PSUs in the market, not everything is available for everyone. I'm not comparing based on wattage, ofcourse quality matters but The PSU he's asking about isn't a random, it has mostly only good reviews. You're treating a VS450 as if it's a random PSU that doesn't even exist and I bought it from a drug dealer down the street.
Also,
I'm using MSI afterburner to monitor my gpu power, I know it's not completely accurate but I'm sure it's not too far from the actual value either. The OC isn't to the limits, I'm sitting at +90 MHz from the max stock clock speed.

Great, upload the images of the data you collected when testing the crossloads upon overclocking and link them here. I'll hang on the line.
This is Bizarre. I'm not sure how you have come up with the conclusion that a 65w CPU and a 120w GPU can't run on a 450w PSU that has good reviews. If I were using a trash-tier random no-name PSU that I got from eBay I'd see the concern. I've monitored my power consumption using MSI Afterburner. Although this is not a real test, I made sure to check if my PSU was pushing out hot air and it wasn't. My max CPU and GPU temps are below 72 even after long gaming hours(Ambient is ~35C, yes I live in a pressure cooker) so I don't see any problem.

and you can't stop someone from buying a PSU just because you think there's better PSUs in the market, not everything is available for everyone. I'm not comparing based on wattage, ofcourse quality matters but The PSU he's asking about isn't a random, it has mostly only good reviews. You're treating a VS450 as if it's a random PSU that doesn't even exist and I bought it from a drug dealer down the street.
Also,
I'm using MSI afterburner to monitor my gpu power, I know it's not completely accurate but I'm sure it's not too far from the actual value either. The OC isn't to the limits, I'm sitting at +90 MHz from the max stock clock speed.

I just said that we're just giving recommendations... I'm not forcing you to buy anything. You either didn't bother to read my previous comment or you just don't care.

I didn't comment anything about your VS450... It's just that you're not in the position to recommend something without testing it with proper equipment or atleast based on a trustworthy review of the product... you're just basing it on the fact that it worked fine for half a year on your system.

About your RX570 power consumption... did you actually measure those 120W yourself?

I doubt that... but don't worry someone already did it with proper equipment:

aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9IL0UvNjY5MzYyL29yaWdpbmFsLzAyLUdhbWluZy1Qb3dlci1Db25zdW1wdGlvbi5wbmc.png

Here's the link for the full article:

I'm not going any further on arguing, just so you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.