Is a 5.8ghz av sender better than a 2.4 ghz av sender. Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MariaL

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2011
My AV sender has died. It is 2.4Ghz one and we had it for about three years. Not to sure if I should buy the same one again or one that is 5.8Ghz. They are both priced at $99.00.

Solution
Never use 2.4 for time sensitive things such as video.

2.4ghz and all its frequencies are overused to death. This DOES increase the risk of interference.

2.4 has

Blue Tooth
Wi-Fi B,G,N
Phones
Wireless mice and keyboards.
Wireless game controllers
Wireless speakers
Best off......Your microwave will massively hurt 2.4 when it is running
and lots of other stuff since it is a freely usable frequency range

5.8 does not have so much interference. There are phones and some other things on 5.8, but much less then 2.4
Phones and some wireless speakers and baby monitors.

With cordless phones all moving to 1.9ghz(Dect 6.0) things are getting a bit better but 2.4 is just a bad idea.

EDIT.

Just to clear it up, in the end its all up to how...

MariaL

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2011
I just want it to divert my cable TV from one room to another. The rooms are adjoining. We do have wireless internet and cordless 'phones in the house but these do not seem to have affected the AV sender in the past. I just did not know if it was over zealous to to buy the 5.8Ghz rather than the 2.4Ghz.

Never use 2.4 for time sensitive things such as video.

2.4ghz and all its frequencies are overused to death. This DOES increase the risk of interference.

2.4 has

Blue Tooth
Wi-Fi B,G,N
Phones
Wireless mice and keyboards.
Wireless game controllers
Wireless speakers
Best off......Your microwave will massively hurt 2.4 when it is running
and lots of other stuff since it is a freely usable frequency range

5.8 does not have so much interference. There are phones and some other things on 5.8, but much less then 2.4
Phones and some wireless speakers and baby monitors.

With cordless phones all moving to 1.9ghz(Dect 6.0) things are getting a bit better but 2.4 is just a bad idea.

EDIT.

Just to clear it up, in the end its all up to how well the device is designed. the US government(military applications) uses 2.4 with such power that it does not get interference(clearly they have frequencies just for them too, there are many frequencies that fall into the 2.4ghz range) and has huge range. Just never had any luck with 2.4ghz(phones,bluetooth ect) here.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.