Question is a 55 idle temp normal for a 6950xt idle?

Blackdiamond1990

Reputable
Jul 28, 2020
so to further explain i purchased the msi trio 6950xt and when i ran my first game god of war 2018 it went up to 83c in 4k which was shocking is that too hot and to note i am running this thing in fairly sized case with 5 aircooling fans with some inches in between to breathe should i be concerned or would undervolting be a valid option i dont want my gpu dying prematurely the only thing that is decent is that when i close a game it cools back down really quick to its idle temps around 55c somtimes lower can anyone offer some tips or had any similar experience with these monster cards?

83c is hot, but it's not "too hot", as long as that's the absolute maximum. I don't know anything about that card, but I'm assuming the fans never run at 100%, as this would be considered too noisy for a modern card. So your options are to force the cooling fans to run faster with a custom fan curve....if the card doesn't have the software for it, then MSI afterburner has always been the go to program. As for voltage, if you can drop it without causing crashes, then go for it as a drop of even 0.05v can make a huge difference to temperature.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
it went up to 83c
Sounds OK. I mean, IF the card is effectively dispersing up to 400-ish watts(capable) of heat energy into the room, some of which circles back into the case, and there's no air conditioning.

i am running this thing in fairly sized case with 5 aircooling fans
Needs some context - even pics would help. How to post images here: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/image-posting-via-imgur.3773266/

i dont want my gpu dying prematurely
Where does this keep coming from, when user error is among the most common causes of gpu death, such as dust, manual overclocking, power supplies - basically poor decisions. Sometimes manufacturer designs are responsible, but...
When you start seeing borderline 100C regardless of what the gpu is doing, then you can sweat bullets.

when i close a game it cools back down really quick
Normal characteristic for air cooled devices. They soak and cool down at a faster rate than their liquid counterparts.

candymancan

Reputable
Nov 28, 2019
seems normal for aircooled gpu.. my 1080ti strix asus, with its 3 blade cooler was at 75c load.. but ive been watercooling for 26 years, so i got a waterblock in 2 weeks after buying it.. and it dropped to 43c or so.. i honestly never liked cpus or gpus goin to 70-80c.. My 6900xt is at 47c and 57c on the hot spot but its watercooled as well