[SOLVED] Is a GTX 2070 Super good for 1440p 144hz gaming?

Rumblefish

Distinguished
May 27, 2012
I don’t do any competitive FPS gaming but like to crank up the details on games I do play. Things like Witcher 3, WOW and the upcoming Diablo 4. I don’t need top tier frame rates, just reasonably smooth with lots of eye candy. I’m planning a build with a Ryzen 7 3700X for gaming and music production. I can find room for a 2080 Super in the budget if needed.

Thanks for any insight.

Solution
I was pondering this same thing when looking to upgrade before I decided to hold off and get a used upgrade to tide me over and here's what I saw:

At 1440p, 144hz is going to be a bit out of reach for many brand new release games and will probably be more appropriate at 100hz.

However what I also notice is that most people I know can't really tell the difference between 144hz and 100hz. Unless there's a competitive aim for it, that might not be a terrible thing if it is at the top end of your budget.

But again, with new releases coming from both amd and nvidia said to come mid next year which are speculated to have better performance at the same price with updated features for many of the cards, you may want to hold off for a while...
Oct 4, 2019
I was pondering this same thing when looking to upgrade before I decided to hold off and get a used upgrade to tide me over and here's what I saw:

At 1440p, 144hz is going to be a bit out of reach for many brand new release games and will probably be more appropriate at 100hz.

However what I also notice is that most people I know can't really tell the difference between 144hz and 100hz. Unless there's a competitive aim for it, that might not be a terrible thing if it is at the top end of your budget.

But again, with new releases coming from both amd and nvidia said to come mid next year which are speculated to have better performance at the same price with updated features for many of the cards, you may want to hold off for a while if this is going to be your big purchase.

Reactions: Rumblefish
Solution

TRENDING THREADS