Question Is a NVME Enclosure Required For Cloning?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pauly01

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2013
I will be cloning my 2.5 inch samsung ssd that is in my dell xps 15 9550 into a new 1tb samsung 970 evo NVME ssd. I decided I will buy that ssd as oppose to the sk hynix. I know samsung has that migration software which works great for cloning. So i will use that as oppose to macrieum reflect.

Now can anyone here confirm... I need to buy this NVME enclosure to do the cloning ? Since im cloning from a 2.5 inch samsung sata to a new NVME drive... i assume i need this?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MNFH1PX/ref=ox_sc_act_title_7?smid=A41S1C1L96T2O&psc=1

I assume if you were to open up the laptop, take out the 32gb m.2 ssd that is already inside it... then put this one in...then close your laptop... then you don't need it and can clone it like that with the samsung migration software?

My plan is this... clone it myself with samsung migration software. Then once its cloned... i bring the nvme ssd, my new laptop battery, and new ram and bring it to repair shop and they will basically open up my laptop and take out the old parts and put in the new parts. I do not want them to do the cloning for me.

So can anyone here confirm I need to buy the nvme enclosure for this process? I assume i should in my case since i don't want to open my up laptop... as this would work if i take out the 32gb m.2 nvme already inside and put this in right? Thus if someone was tech savy, they would not need to buy the enclosure?

But with this... all i have to do is put the nvme ssd in this enclosure, plug it into the usb port... then clone and wait and thats all right? But someone tech savy wouldn't need to buy this as putting it inside the laptop and can do this clone process with taking the 32gb m.2 nvme out right?

I do have a 2.5 inch ssd enclosure if that matters. But i still need to buy the nvme enclosure right?

pauly01

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2013
Okay i downloaded both of them. I see samsung magician shows like my drive health and temperature for my old samsung 840 evo which is my 2.5 inch 250 old sata drive.

But other drive it shows N/A... the 32 gb m. 2 one that only has music only. Does show it uses up 6gb but reason it doesn't show drive health etc is because its not samsung right?

So now... close both programs. Shut down laptop. Thenm Open up my laptop, remove the 32 gb m. 2, put in the new tv nvme in the spot, clilck on data migration and i should see the option to click on the drop down menu for both drives right>?

USAFRet

Titan
Correct.

It does not show health for the 32GB, because it is not Samsung.

For the other, yes.
Did you download the driver for the new NVMe drive? Install that after you have the 970 connected, and before you do the migration thing.

pauly01

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2013
Hi thanks. I did download that driver but tried to run it earlier and it wouldn't let me... reason is b/c i didnt connect the 970 yet. Now one other thing. I never updated my bios ever. My laptop is around four years old but my bios is five years old i believ... never updated bios b/c i didnt know about it and later on i considered... i read how bios update could brick a laptop. I see the nvme drive says requires a certain bios

So would there be any issue?

But after i put in the nvme ssd and take the other one out... open migration data... and just clone right? Like dont click on the nvme driver anymore? Thanks.

USAFRet

Titan
Connect the 970.
Install the Samsung NVMe driver.
Do the migration thing.
Power OFF.
Disconnect the 860.
Power up, and verify it actually boots from the new 970.

BIOS.
What BIOS version is yours now?
If NVMe functionality requires a newer version, then you must update before this migration thing.

pauly01

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2013
How do i do this? So its required to do the bios update before any of this? Again i never updated bios and reason is b/c years ago, i never did it... then when i thought about it... ppl said you can brick your laptop with a bios update. And well my bios is 5 years old or so...

pauly01

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2013
Under NVME drivers in the samsung nvme driver page... it shows this

• This driver supports Samsung NVMe SSD 970 PRO, 970 EVO, 970 EVO Plus, 960 PRO, 960 EVO and 950 PRO.
    NVMe Driver
    Version 3.3 | 4.72MB DOWNLOAD
    NVMe Driver Installation Guide
    678KB DOWNLOAD
    * Notice : The driver supports Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10.
    Recommended minimum system configuration is Intel Haswell Refresh Processor, 2GB RAM, 50MB free disk space and UEFI Bios v2.3.
    * Enhanced security for installation

pauly01

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2013
Where did you find info about a BIOS being required for an NVMe drive?
It may be, but where did you see this?

Hey all. Want to update here. I did not use the nvme enclosure and just opened the laptop up.

I opened up my laptop, put in the new samsung nvme ssd in it and removed the 32gb m.2 ssd from it. I then put in the screws to close my laptop. I then cloned the new ssd with the samsung data migration. It finished cloning and then powered it off.

Now... I remove the 2.5 inch samsung ssd from my laptop... then turn it back on with only the new samsung nvme tb ssd right? Now my concern is if i do this, it should boot from the new nvme drive right? Or would it be possible its still going to boot from the 2.5 inch slot which would not work since that ssd is removed?

Someone mentioned remove the 2.5 inch ssd first... then power it on... but go straight to bios first. Do you suggest that or just power it on after removing the 2.5 inch ssd?

Now what would happen if i turn on my laptop now with both ssd still there? Since its an exact clone, i assume its still booting from the 2.5 inch ssd drive?

Now my concern was powering it up with the new nvme ssd and then going straight to bios because i heard bios can brick your laptop. I Never done a bios update ever. But would going to bios cause any issue here?

Then again, doing it my way... take out the 2.5 inch ssd and powering it on... should boot it from the new nvme drive? What do you suggest i do now? Is any method i do now risky?

pauly01

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2013
After the clone is finished:
Power OFF
Physically disconnect the old drive.
Power up, and see if it boots OK from the new drive.

The BIOS thing is not an Update, but rather to just verify the boot order.

Hi thanks. Someone else on other forum said what they would do is remove the old two.five inch ssd first... then power it up... but go straight to bios first to see if its actually booting from the nvme slot. Would you suggest that instead? They said they want to be cautious and do that.

I said... why can't i just power it on like normal to see if it boots straight from the nvme anyways? You seem to say the same thing so there is no risk if it doesn't boot from the nvme drive right? Like if it doesn't, what would show up on the screen? So i power it off... then power it back on but go straight to bios to fix it?

Yea i know the bios thing is not an update... but im afraid if i go to bios, i accidentally click something to update bios.

Which method is more safe/preferred? My method which is same as yours of just powering it on like normal to see if it boots from the nvme drive... or go straight to bios first?

Thanks.

USAFRet

Titan
If you leave the old drive connected, and simply power up, it will likely boot from that old drive.

Physically disconnect it before the first power up after the clone process finishes.

The BIOS is just to verify that the new drive is first in the boot order. Nothing more.
You can't accidentally update the BIOS. That is a several click step, and requires that you have the required update saved already.

Again....don't power it up with the old drive still connected.

pauly01

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2013
If you leave the old drive connected, and simply power up, it will likely boot from that old drive.

Physically disconnect it before the first power up after the clone process finishes.

The BIOS is just to verify that the new drive is first in the boot order. Nothing more.
You can't accidentally update the BIOS. That is a several click step, and requires that you have the required update saved already.

Again....don't power it up with the old drive still connected.

Okay thanks. But from your guess, what percentage do you think it will boot without an issue? I will be powering it on with only the new nvme ssd drive and see if it boots.

pauly01

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2013
Don't play the percentages, do it right.
I'm not going to put a number on it.

Hey. I took out the two.five in ssd and then powered it on. It had no issues and booted like normal. Shows like

721gb of 930gb free. It only shows the c drive since well only one drive there.

So that means everything is good with the cloning right?

pauly01

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2013
IT would appear that everything is good.

Thanks. I have another issue related to this.

So I turned off my laptop and then put in a new dell battery. I was using it with no battery before so plugged in.

I am pretty certain I put in the new dell battery correct... I then closed up the screws for the laptop. Then i charged it to ac charger. But when I did this, i notice the i saw flashes of white and orange few times... I then few seconds later just unplugged my ac charger. I did not power on my laptop yet after putting in the new battery.

When i install a new dell xps laptop battery, do you need to have it plugged in ac charger right before you power it on? Or could you just power it on by itself? I assume the battery since its new, you need to have it plugged in right? But is there any concern if seeing flashes of white and orange? Note... I did not power on my laptop after this because those flashes of white and orange concerned me. I am pretty certain i installed the laptop battery correctly as they fit in to place at least thats what i think.

So what i do right now? Just plug it in ac charger and power it on and see what happens right? But is a new battery suppose to when you charge it flash white and orange?