• Now's your chance win big! Join our community and get entered to win a RTX 2060 GPU, plus more! Join here.

Pi Cast Episode 3 streams live on Tuesday, August 4th at 2:30 pm ET (7:30 PM BST). Watch live right here!

Catch Scharon on the Tom's Hardware Show live on Thursday, August 6th at 2:00 pm ET (7:00 PM BST). Click here!

[SOLVED] Is a USB-C SSD dock compatible with a thunderbolt adapter?

jozeftierney

Prominent
May 4, 2018
I want to connect a SSD dock with USB gen 3 II type c output to a 10 GbE port on the switch and I found a thunderbolt 3 to 10 GbE adapter (QNAP QNA-T310G1S). Are thunderbolt 3 and usb c interchangeable here?

Everything I've found suggests they should be but I can't find a definitive answer. I'm mostly just worried about supplying power to the adapter (it has an internal fan)

Thanks!

hang-the-9

Titan
From the sounds of things, you want to connect an external USB drive dock to a switch? Not going to happen unless that dock is a NAS with built-in controller for the network. Just because this adapter is for USB to Ethernet does not mean that the dock can all of a sudden talk to network devices. Did you read the specs for this adapter you found and what it is used for?

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS