Question Is a Xeon X5650 A good Option For An rx 580 8gb

Jul 24, 2024
I currently have a rx 580 8gb and im about to pair it with a xeon x5650 (6 core 12 thread 2.6ghz base 3ghz turbo) that i have seen for 11 USD .I have seen a comparision video of this cpu to a i7 8th gen and the i7 outperfomed thr xeon by 20-30 fps but with a huge price difference .So is this a good combo or should i change the cpu (z600 workstation with a lga 1366 mobo and 650w psu oem)

Lutfij

Titan
What other options do you have besides that which are listed above? You speak of price difference, you should mention where you're located so we have some semblance of the hardware you have access to.

My answer would be to pair the GPU with a system from that same time frame, instead of trying to drop in a discrete GPU from 2017 onto a platform from 2010(if we're going by the Xeon) or 2008 if we're going by the socket(LGA1366).

650W is the advertised wattage, if the unit is from when the prebuilt was released(2009), then no, I wouldn't pair anything with that PSU in that build, either which way as it's 15 years old now today.

To give you some perspective - I have a RX 580 8g paired with a i7-980x @4ghz. The i7-980x is the same generation as the xeon you are inquiring about but the i7 is much, much faster. I've had this system for 14 years (It was originally a radeon 5870 GPU). It does great with older games and works well enough for a few modern games as well. Nowadays I only use this system for gaming and web browsing. I've been playing medieval dynasty lately at 1080p and I get between 40 and 60fps with medium settings. The issue with the nehalem/westmere chips in modern gaming is that they don't support AVX instructions and a lot of games now require AVX instructions so you need to be aware of that.

As Lutfij mentioned, you're dealing with a really old system and the PSU is ancient and might end up being a huge problem. I assume you are trying to upgrade a lga1366 system from a lesser CPU? What is your current CPU? $11 is cheap but it might not give you the results you want.

If I'm incorrect and you don't already have the z600 workstation then definitely look for something more modern. There are likely some used skylake-based systems (think i7-6700 or 6700k or greater) or some AMD Zen 2 based systems that might fit your budget. The RX 580 isn't a particularly powerful GPU but a more modern system will allow it to perform more optimally.

I currently have a rx 580 8gb and im about to pair it with a xeon x5650 (6 core 12 thread 2.6ghz base 3ghz turbo)
I have a boat load of these HP Z work stations and they deliver. Z400, Z600, Z620 and Z640s All turned into gaming rigs.

If you already have the X5650 it will do good. A better and more bang for the money is a X5680.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2964959652...ZzLKGGlqyYJRjZh0fzxDZn5JMvyItTPReKAurMSrqBDOQ

Like mentioned no AVX instructions on the CPU but if you stay away from those few games at least for now there killer machines.

Word of warning if you flip the CPU on the Z HP machine the heat sink has an off set where one side has extension arms for the screws that are about an inch or two moved away from the main heatsink.

Those need a couple of turns first than do all 4 in a crisscross. If not the CPU will run hot and over heat as the CPU heat sink will not be making correct contact.

Reactions: larkspur