Is Ad-Sponsoring the Future of PC Gaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaohsiangchen

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
If ads can sustain a healthy gaming industry the way it sustains Fox, NBC, ABC and CBS, then I'd say that we should learn to live with it. Sure ads are annoying at times, but people need incentive to make games, otherwise we will only have a handful of graduate students in CS/EE trying to write half-assed programs in order to get their Ph.D. degree. There are a few great people who are dedicating to free software out there, and they indeed contributed a lot to open source community. However, most people have economic consideration and need to work hard to put food on their tables.

bf2gameplaya

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2008
I still can't decide if intrusive marketing should be defined as consumer rape or creative parasitism.

Either way, the market will show you just how much your game advertisements are worth to them: absolutely zero.

wahdangun

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2008
yeah it's great idea, ilove it and it will make those cracker/pirate get pissed. because they don't have any game to crack.

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
I really dont see the problem here. Out of game ads while I'm loading up multiplayer levels? Awesome. Something to distract me from the boring crysis loading bar that sticks at 100% for years for 64-bit systems. Ingame advertising, as I'm jumping my awesome porsche 911 through a giant cocacola billboard? Holy crap! Hell, it may even make me want a coke. Who Cares, seriously? The only reason people are concearned is because they feel like they should be. Get over the bullcrap and just live.

G

Advertising could solve the piracy problem, but context is very important. I don't want to see aliens wearing nike shoes or other nonsense.

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
I have no clue how advertising works in these types of games. I haven't checked them out.

As for commercial game, the big problem with advertising for me is they try to spin it like it's a benefit for gamers, but really they get nothing of value in return except ads shoehorned into their games. Plus there's the issue of privacy where they keep tabs on who looks at what ads for how long and what sort of personal information is exchanged through that, but I'm not really concerned about that. I just hate that companies add advertisements to their games, but it doesn't lower the cost of the game, it doesn't offer improved support or extra freebies. It adds nothing except extra revenue for the company and nothing for the consumer.

If a game is free, it's all good. But I hate when a company tries to throw ads into a commercial game (like Battlefield 2142).

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]Maxor127[/nom]the big problem with advertising for me is they try to spin it like it's a benefit for gamers, but really they get nothing of value in return [/citation]

The benafit is they make more money off subliminal messeging and you get more games that we would all hope would have some thought put into them since they are making more money.

We can hope right?

seriously who cares? so instead of some blurry cans of soda ona desk it would be cans of coke. and instead of made up names for cereal on a desk in halflife its lucky charms. Maybe a bag of m&m's in a load screen. I think some of you are looking way to into the ad thing.

[citation][nom]wahdangun[/nom]yeah it's great idea, ilove it and it will make those cracker/pirate get pissed. because they don't have any game to crack. [/citation]

grow up. maybe if you learned why people rather download and crack some games you might understand.

Want to stop alot of piracy? make games that dont suck.

I dont personaly care and seriously i always wonderd why they didnt just use cans of coke instead of a blury can of something that looked like coke. (copyrights aside)

Master Exon

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]wahdangun[/nom]yeah it's great idea, ilove it and it will make those cracker/pirate get pissed. because they don't have any game to crack. [/citation]
No way, now they have to remove Ads AND and nocd cracks. It'll probably be a bad idea if we still pay $60 and get adverts.

nekatreven

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
[citation][nom]NewJohnny2[/nom]Advertising could solve the piracy problem, but context is very important. I don't want to see aliens wearing nike shoes or other nonsense.[/citation]

rofl...too true

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
We already deal with ads in our retail games now so this option is certainly one I wouldn't object to. Of course I don't think it would ever happen as it would be clear that they could just bombard the game with advertisements and still sell the game.

falcompsx

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
Ads in games are fine as long as its reasonable(for free games). I dont want a splash screen every 5 minutes or something retarded.

Dekasav

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2008
Shadowbane, an MMORPG that was pay-to-play, and eventually went free, implemented an ad-sponsored idea. Way it worked, is when you started up the game, you exited the game, and everytime you died (but only once every...10 minutes I think) you saw a minute long commercial. Made the game free, kept the company doing ok, win-win in my eyes.

I like that idea, but I don't think I'm in favor of in-game stuff near so much. Context would be very important, but I wouldn't mind seeing posters on walls for Coke if I'm shooting baddies in a city; it might help quench my thirst.

falcompsx

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
[citation][nom]NewJohnny2[/nom]Advertising could solve the piracy problem, but context is very important. I don't want to see aliens wearing nike shoes or other nonsense.[/citation]
smart developers won't do the aliens in nikes, it will detract from the gaming experience and ruin their game. Fewer people play = less revenue = failed game.

I think this adsupported idea is actually a pretty good idea.

kittle

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
As a download-and-play-for-free setup I can understand, and in some cases live with it. The gamedev people gotta get paid.

but........
If ive shelled out $50 or $60 of my hard earned cash and STILL have adds plastered all over my game -- no thank you, i'll be searching for a noAds crack, and telling my friends "dont buy that game"

linksolo74

Distinguished
May 25, 2008
The link to Beyond Good & Evil takes you to the 1up profile of the game. I don't see a download link for it anywhere.

G

iNSTED OF PIRATES CRACKING PAID GAMES THEY WILL REMOVE THE ADDS. gg

What kind of adds are talking about here, though?

Loading screens? In-game items? (Soda machines in FEAR are a good place IMO, lol) Pop-ups? (would be very idiotic)

We shouldn't say it's an abomination first hand, i mean, there are a lot of elements inside of a game that can make it even more "realistic" thanks to publicity. We'd depend on the brilliant minds behind develop though, cause the managers are going to bitch a lot when a sponsor doesn't get his part, lol.

Anyway, it's on a maturing stage, so we can't conclude just yet IMO.

Esop!

smalltime0

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2008
If they implement it ingame similar to BF2142 I'll be happy, the ads are non intrusive and actually add a bit to the experience.

However I dont want to pay the full price (In aust approx $100) for the privledge of seeing ads...

Status
Not open for further replies.