Question Is AMD GPU as good as Nvidia for PUBG ?

Jun 4, 2022
Searching for the best possible GPU for my money...only Game I play is PUBG!
When it comes to price...RTX 3060, RTX 3060 Ti or RX6700.
When I would play more Games then I would have already ordered an RX 6700.
Maybe "XFX Speedster SWFT 309 Radeon" or "Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 6700 XT",
because I always liked Adrenalin Software more & Graphics Color & sharpness
(my impression).

But the problem is PUBG is a bit special and promoted by Nvidia, so I fear I will have
maybe some trouble with AMD GPU? Or is it stupid to think like that?

When I search for "best GPU for PUBG" the answer always is RTX 3060, 3070,3080.
The "Ti" with 8GB are never mentioned, why? Do I need 12 GB for PUBG?

Last 2 years I used GTX 1060 6GB, played with 100-120 FPS in QHD on 144 hz Monitor.
I know not perfect, but I never had problems. But 2 month ago I got problems. Once I was
good in Machine Gun Fights, now I got no chance! Found out I got FPS-Drops (Stutter), nearly
everytime the enemy comes. Sometimes only down to 80-70, but sometimes down to 40!
And of course the PUBG typical Crashes...everyone has!

So you can image that I do not need more problems!;)
Would like to order a RX6700...someone maybe plays PUBG too and changed from Nvidia
to AMD and can take away my fears?

My PC:

CPU: i7-8700K
GPU: GTX 1060 6GB
RAM: 2x 8 GB RipJaws (3200MHz)
MB: ASRock Z370 extreme4
SSD: Crucial MX500
Tower: Fractal Design Define R6 (and 4 HDDs so a GPU shorter than 30cm would be better)
Monitor: ViewSonic VX2758-2KP-mhd

Hope someone can help me. Thanks.

PUBG is not vary well optimized per say, but a 6700 should smoke that 1060 in PUBG, I easily get at least 100+ fps on my ultra wide, once on the ground it vary's but vary rare it drops below 144fps at maxed out details.

A 6700 should get around that with that CPU.

The XT version will be around 15 to 25% faster in some cases and if you can swing the extra cash for the XT version, I would.

A 1060 6Gb does alright, but its not much faster than my old GTX 780ti, and it was rough playing with that card sometimes, in built up areas with gun fights it was often dropping below 60fps, I can only imagine what some of the newer maps would of done on that card.

I would definitely say its a worth while upgrade over your 1060

I would however, download DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) to remove every trace of the Nvidia driver before installing the AMD card just in case windows throws a fit.

Good Luck!

Jun 4, 2022
@Viking2121
Thank you very much. So you think there is no difference between AMD & Nvidia concerning PUBG!?
I mean it is not like that, that the Game runs smoother on Nvidia Cards or less Crashes or something like that?
I know the RX 6700 XT is good and will have enough FPS to play in QHD low settings, but someone with an
AMD card will have no disadvantages vs a player with an Nvidia card in that Game. I mean on the same FPS Level?
Of course Hardware, Connection & ping plays an important role in that, let's call it "special" Game lol.
I just ask because right now, i have all the problems here, I just don't need new problems!;)
You not even something about AMD GPUs & PUBG. Just some old vids and there someone used AMD and the FPS go
extremly up and down...hope that guy had some other problems!;) I mean AMD Cards 100% supports that game, same like Nvidia?
You know in PUBG every millisecond counts...right now it feels like my enemies play in a 1-2 second time hole, because of my stupid FPS-Stutter.
Pretty much unplayable.

Or what about Memory Interface, Memory Bandwidth, max VRAM 8 or 12GB?

Last edited:
Well No, not in PubG anyway, I don't play a lot of PubG but when I do play it from time to time, its smooth as can be, I mean a 6700xt is slightly slower than a 3070 in PubG, but the 6700xt is also cheaper so I mean yeah. Also AMD just recently put out a driver that increased performance of all DX11 titles so that gap is probably smaller now.

The only thing I miss about my 780ti and 1070s was shadowplay or the Geforce Experience, its much better than AMD's recording stuff and it also works in a window where AMD does work in a window but you can't set it to record 2 or 5 min of gameplay if you play in a window. Its not bad at all, but its not as easy to set up, probably would be better off with OBS or like what I do, I use the Windows Gamebar, its good enough for me.

Thats my only real complaint, AMD GPU's to me are fun tweaking, I mean if you get a 6700xt, its not going to be hard to get 6800 or even 6800xt like performance with some tweaking with overclocking and stuff if thats your thing, Nvidia always been boring and not as good in terms of tweaking in my opinion.

But no PubG will pretty much run just as well on an AMD card as it will on a Nvidia card, no difference in smoothness or stability as far as I know, im all AMD and its smooth and no issues other than im not great at the game lol. PubG has been out quite a long time now so I would imagine most of the issues that Nvidia or AMD had with it are mostly if not fully ironed out at this point in its life.

For PubG at 1440p, 8Gb is plenty, 1080p, 8Gb is going to be overkill, but its nice to have in other games, but some of them other games might benefit from 12GB at 1440p, so the choice is yours, but for PubG, 8Gb is going to be plenty, unless you plan to play at 4k which 12GB would be better, but the 6700xt might struggle at 4k resolutions on some games at any decent settings.

Jun 4, 2022
Thanks again.;) Would really like to order a 6700xt, but I guess I don't know one PUBG Player who uses an AMD card, so that scared me a bit.;)
But of course people do what others do, so everyone is using Nvidia lol. Guess I don't need a recording Software, I use Mirillis Action. Really like
it, simple and good and does not need many Ressources. Guess the only Software I ever bought, just 17$ or so. Use it for years now. So thanks so far,
when someone else has maybe played PUBG with AMD & Nvidia, please post your experiences here.

Thanks again.;) Would really like to order a 6700xt, but I guess I don't know one PUBG Player who uses an AMD card, so that scared me a bit.;)
But of course people do what others do, so everyone is using Nvidia lol. Guess I don't need a recording Software, I use Mirillis Action. Really like
it, simple and good and does not need many Ressources. Guess the only Software I ever bought, just 17$ or so. Use it for years now. So thanks so far,
when someone else has maybe played PUBG with AMD & Nvidia, please post your experiences here.

Yeah you do have to take in consideration thats Nvidia has a way bigger market share than AMD, AMD started to drop off back then, like they weren't even competitive on the high end and hardly on mid range cards, started right after AMD Acquired ATI, they put out the HD6000 series cards and the HD7000 series, they were ok but didn't really compete much, and it got worse after each generation afterwards, like the r9 290x, talk about a space heater and it could hardly keep up with the GTX970 and consumed 3 times more power.

Around the RX5000 series and up AMD started to get a better, then the RX6000 series which in my opinion is a good step for AMD, just not great Ray Tracing performance.

So you see AMD has to work to earn that market share back for the GPU space, so yeah you'll see more Nvidia users, I'm in a COD clan even though I quite playing COD years ago, I still talk to them daily, Out of the 23 active people in the clan, I can only think of 2 others that are using a newer AMD GPU's, The rest of the users I know for sure use Nvidia, 1 guy still hanging onto his GTX 960, I sent him out my old AMD Vega 64 yesterday so there will be 3 people on AMD that I know of out of that group lol.

Reactions: philly222
Jun 4, 2022
Thanks for your response! Pretty said that not many using AMD. Sorry to say but I found some other comments that a lot of people where not happy with their 6700xt @pubg (FPS going up and down)...so I ordered an MSI RTX 3060 Ti Gaming X! Yeah, shame on me for not being brave!:rolleyes:
But so far I am quite happy with it even it did not solve my FPS-Drops (but it's much more in TDM...so maybe PUBG problem???)...in the Game I have much more FPS than I thought! @Taego 160-220...only in some situations 145 or so...! Even the usage is only @ 60% or so, guess my i7-8700K limits the GPU! And did not test much so far. Default 3D settings, low latency off, no max. power just normal, QHD everything very low...only Textures, View Distance and Antialiasing on medium! So I'm quite happy so far. And in most videos I so Display Latency (Experience) @ 5-7ms...I have 3-4ms...so I am pretty surprised so far! Even I do not want to say something good about Nvidia...I'm an AMD Fan!;)

Jun 4, 2022
Not easy to find another good game, even PUBG is more love&hate!;) Before I play something like Super People or Valorant I stop playing forever! Compared to PUBG everything is crap!