Is AMD Resurrecting the ATI Brand?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pandemonium_ctp

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
Also, Ford doesn't own Mazda. They own a substantial part of their shares and work in cooperation in R&D with each other. It's more-less a partnership and not an ownership.

archange

Distinguished
May 7, 2007
For me, it's enough to know what's under the hood. And that's a Radeon. On the other hand, ATi, as a company is part of history now. Why would one try resurrecting it for the names' sake eludes me...

It's important not to confuse companies with their products, which in Radeon's case have carried on under AMD's brand.

I think some of the confusion is due to the fact that we've been hoping for "Fusion" to start materializing a lot sooner. That would have probably brought AMD more recognition as a graphics landmark.

nielnield

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
why would they want to change ati? don't change what is working, don't fix what isn't broken. I would rather hear a bout ati cpus than amd gpus.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
ATI is part of history just like 3dfx. So in a way its painful to see them go. But at-least they didn't share the same fate as 3dfx and come crashing down instead they were simply bought out by AMD.

I was very worried when AMD bought them out and rightfully so. For those who recall AMD wasn't doing too hot at that time in fact after purchasing ATI the worth of AMD soon dropped below what they bought ATI for. It's sort of strange to think that a realistic alternative history could have had a buy-out rejection from ATI and AMD would have still done terribly perhaps even worse and could have ended up being purchased by ATI in a strange twist of fate.

I believe that AMD's buyout of ATI is what saved them in the end.
This wasn't likely foreseen or part of any plan by AMD they just got lucky... damn lucky... But it just goes to show that ATI was the more secure of the two companies.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
For business visibility, going with just the AMD brand still makes more sense. Easier artwork, etc etc.

People will always BUY Radeon graphics cards, but seeing the ATI logo on the box is helpful for the sub-conciseness buying market. Did MS create a whole new brand for its XBOX? No confusion there. Or how about SONY and its gaming products?

For AMD to grow the brand, they went the right part. The only thing is, ATI has the cooler sound and logo.

Status
Not open for further replies.