Is AMD Resurrecting the ATI Brand?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IM0001

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
Lets hope. However they took the "Survey" of the ATI name relevance was completely invalid since almost nobody has come up to say "I was asked by AMD about it". I know carrying 2 names may be a burden to a company. But AMD and Graphics just doesn't flow like ATI. AMD = CPU. ATI = GPU.

sceen311

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
why don't you wait till the brand is dead before asking that questing? last I checked there's still a crap load of ati products on the market.

jfby

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2010
Why should AMD keep ATI? I think it's analagous as to why does GM keep Chevrolet? Some people would be perfectly fine with driving a GM Corvette or a GM CTS, but others value the brand recognition for whatever reason.

When first annouced most jumped in saying it was a good move, and I think it would've been a great move if ATI didn't have such brand equity in the eyes of the consumer. The naming wouldn't sway me one way or the other, but maybe someone who hasn't bought a card in 5 years just might be affected.

wcnighthawk

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2010
That's pretty funny. I didn't even notice the ATI was missing on some cards and was still referring to them as "ATI Radeon" to people I talked to. I got to start paying more attention :p Well, not that it matters anymore if they are switching it back. And yes, I do own an ATI graphics card.

G

I think its dumb to keep ATI branding. There is only 2 companies its not that hard to figure out!

Although when you look at their fusion chips and mainboards that contain bot AMD and ATI products, it is a bit stupid. Do you have an AMD cpu/gpu or an ATI GPU/CPU chip???. The companies are as one and there should be one name.

DokkRokken

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
[citation][nom]jfby[/nom]Why should AMD keep ATI? I think it's analagous as to why does GM keep Chevrolet? Some people would be perfectly fine with driving a GM Corvette or a GM CTS, but others value the brand recognition for whatever reason.[/citation]

Agreed, although Chevrolet is way better known than ATI, and getting rid of it would be detrimental. However, in AMD's case, it makes far more sense to continue with just the one brand as ATI has little recognition outside of the enthusiast/technology realm. By getting rid of ATI, there's only one advertising channel, and makes it easier for AMD to promote their products, and makes it easier for Joe Average at Best Buy to make a decision on a new PC.

[citation][nom]jfby[/nom]Why should AMD keep ATI? I think it's analagous as to why does GM keep Chevrolet? Some people would be perfectly fine with driving a GM Corvette or a GM CTS, but others value the brand recognition for whatever reason.When first annouced most jumped in saying it was a good move, and I think it would've been a great move if ATI didn't have such brand equity in the eyes of the consumer. The naming wouldn't sway me one way or the other, but maybe someone who hasn't bought a card in 5 years just might be affected.[/citation]

The same reason why Sprite is still Sprite even though they are owned by Coke or MT Dew is still MT Dew though owned by Pepsi.

Their names have the recognition that sells. Ford owns Mazda yet its not a Ford 6 or Ford RX8. Name means a lot to the consumers. Now to us, meh. I do prefer the ATI name over AMD though as I have grown used to it but it wont change a thing so long as the GPUs are decent. But to the consumer it may.

The ATI name is what pushed nVidia and I think removing it may hurt it a bit. Of course people know AMD a bit more but they know them for CPUs and not GPUs.

But I guess we shall see.

kelemvor4

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Hopefully this is true. It would make it easier for AMD to sell off the "ATI" division and return to profitability. I'm sure the shareholders who didn't already jump ship are tired of paying the price for Ruiz' mistakes.

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
I would like it if they brought back the ATI name just because its a habbit to say/type it, but it makes really no difference to me AMD/ATI, its just a name.

Now if the are going to start re-branding cards now that may anger me a bit. The already screwed-up 6000 series names is bad enuff, but re-branding is really going to far.

Nintendork

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
Two of the best selling HD6000 gpu's are the sapphire models who comes with a truckload of AMD logos. People complain? people stop buying them? No.

Maybe we'are talking with extreme Ati fanboys. Now it's AMD, what's the problem? The gpu division delivers every year and minimize the competion.

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
To me, the graphics products are "AMD-ATI" or "AMD/ATI" right now, the ATI company isn't the same company and the philosophy behind building them isn't the same (not saying bad necessarily, just different), so I don't think of them as "ATI" cards. Because of that, I'd rather they dropped the "ATI", it would simplify things for me. I have no problem saying "AMD Radeon", it sounds perfectly natural to my ears.

No big deal though.

;)

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
Personally i like to think of nvidia as evil geniuses plotting ways into making more profits even if they don't have the best product.

While AMD or wait ATI
No Radeon graphcs
Wait ATI radeon??? *** i'm confused
AhFRX.jpg

http://imgur.com/AhFRX.jpg
Either way they need to hammer about their brand lol besides the long standing people who probably just still call it ATI this is just going to cause confusion.

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
[citation][nom]iam2thecrowe[/nom]but when the gpu and cpu are on the same chip, its not so simple. Radeon is the GPU name, weather its AMD or ATI.[/citation]
AMD = CPU
Radeon = GPU
Works for me.

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
I still refer to the Radeon series as ATI... force of habit, its been ATI vs nVidia for years why change it?

and as many others have mentioned, when you hear AMD you don't think of graphics, but rather CPU's.

pandemonium_ctp

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
[citation][nom]jimmysmitty[/nom]The same reason why Sprite is still Sprite even though they are owned by Coke or MT Dew is still MT Dew though owned by Pepsi.Their names have the recognition that sells. Ford owns Mazda yet its not a Ford 6 or Ford RX8. Name means a lot to the consumers. Now to us, meh. I do prefer the ATI name over AMD though as I have grown used to it but it wont change a thing so long as the GPUs are decent. But to the consumer it may.The ATI name is what pushed nVidia and I think removing it may hurt it a bit. Of course people know AMD a bit more but they know them for CPUs and not GPUs.But I guess we shall see.[/citation]

No. Those are completely different things. You're comparing product names to company names. ATI is a company name. Mountain Dew is a product name. There wasn't a company called Mountain Dew that Pepsi bought out.

Regardless, I still refer to AMD cards as ATI, because...that's what they are. Just because another company rebranded their name on the product doesn't make me stop calling it's original namesake.

Companies buy other companies all the time, and while most of us don't know it, tons of products should actually be labeled by another name. Who really cares?

Status
Not open for further replies.