[SOLVED] Is an 8 year old build worth upgrading ?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sherhi

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2015
Hello, I would like to ask this community if my 8 years old build is worth upgrading. It was made by my friend for studying/PhD database work/gaming of course. Now my studies&PhD are done and gaming is starting to struggle with this build.

Core i7-4790K 4 GHz Quad-Core
Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO ATX LGA1150
Kingston 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR3-2133
Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB 2.5" SSD
Asus GeForce GTX 760 2 GB DirectCU II

I am looking for an upgrade of this if it's worth it - GPU would be my first candidate but I don't know which to choose to not spend hundreds of euros (the more it goes towards 1000€ the better it is to build new PC I guess) and I also don't want to overkill it. Is there any upgrade that would prolong this build? I play MMOs like ESO or WoW, Witcher 3, Civ6 etc and I just keep lowering settings more and more :/

Reactions: JeffreyP55
Solution
Yes, pretty much any graphics card on the market will work fine with your current machine, although, you WILL still be somewhat hampered by the fact that you have an older, slower CPU and memory, since it's like 8 years old.

But, unless you are trying to get 120+ FPS out of your CPU on very demanding games, it might not matter all THAT much, so long as you have a good graphics card. You'll still be limited, but gaming WILL improve AND more importantly, you will almost certainly be able to turn some of your quality settings back up with a newer, better graphics card AND you will be able to move that graphics card to any new system you get so it does not become a waste of money no matter what happens. Of course, that all depends on WHAT...

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
If getting a higher power 30 series, it's definitely time to replace the PSU. The Zalman is good as Zalman PSUs go -- they've never prioritized quality here -- but once you're talking GPUs that can really punish PSUs, it's definitely time to move on from what is a rather mediocre Sirfa/High Power-manufactured unit that uses an outdated design (though it at least has DC-DC conversion).

Reactions: Karadjgne

TRENDING THREADS