[SOLVED] Is an ASUS TUF B660M Plus D4 sufficient for an i5 13600k?

reapzstar

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2016
I do not plan on overclocking or anything like that, the stock clocks that this CPU has will be plenty for me.
I watched a few videos that have some relevant information regarding the VRM temps of this board and they all seemed fine with direct airflow, even when there was a 12900k put in.
That video answers my question somewhat, but I'd definitely like to hear people's thoughts, perhaps experiences with this particular board.

Thanks in advance for every answer!

Solution
It would be just fine as long as the BIOS loaded is updated to support the 13600k. Make sure the board has an updated BIOS onboard or it won't boot.
1620 is the BIOS needed for that CPU.

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
It would be just fine as long as the BIOS loaded is updated to support the 13600k. Make sure the board has an updated BIOS onboard or it won't boot.
1620 is the BIOS needed for that CPU.

Solution

reapzstar

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2016
Hi, Can you please tell me how you update it? Need 12th gen install 1st for the update? Or update with a flash drive? Little explains?
Hey, just seeing this.
I had an i5 12400f prior to obtaining the 13600KF, so I updated with a 12th gen CPU.
No idea if it's possible to update without a CPU, I have no experience with that.

Jan 5, 2023
Hey,
I have same mobo and getting like crazy high temps on stresstesting the CPU…
Do you play games and what temps you getting under load is there something you changed in BIOS?

reapzstar

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2016
Hey,
I have same mobo and getting like crazy high temps on stresstesting the CPU…
Do you play games and what temps you getting under load is there something you changed in BIOS?
I swapped my motherboard since then, but unless you are using a high end 360mm AIO/custom loop, unfortunately you will be getting insanely high temps if you are stresstesting.
I'm not quite sure if undervolting the CPU is an option on that mobo, on my new one I can do it just fine and my absolute maximum under cinebench r23 multi is 74.

Jan 5, 2023
I swapped my motherboard since then, but unless you are using a high end 360mm AIO/custom loop, unfortunately you will be getting insanely high temps if you are stresstesting.
I'm not quite sure if undervolting the CPU is an option on that mobo, on my new one I can do it just fine and my absolute maximum under cinebench r23 multi is 74.
Great which motherboard dis you get ? I might do it aswell.

reapzstar

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2016
Great which motherboard dis you get ? I might do it aswell.
MSI MEG Z690 UNIFY-X.
I've been so annoyed in the past years that whenever there was an issue with my computer I had to go through each part separately, so I decided to get one that's able to reflect debug numbers. Makes life a LOT easier.
Though if your current mobo works well, I wouldn't swap it out tbh.
If you are unable to undervolt with it, I'd suggest to pick up a 360mm AIO and some good quality thermal paste like TG Kryonaut/Condactonaut, though under moderate loads(gaming) I'm assuming you'r fine with the current setup.
May I ask what cooler etc. u got?

Jan 5, 2023
MSI MEG Z690 UNIFY-X.
I've been so annoyed in the past years that whenever there was an issue with my computer I had to go through each part separately, so I decided to get one that's able to reflect debug numbers. Makes life a LOT easier.
Though if your current mobo works well, I wouldn't swap it out tbh.
If you are unable to undervolt with it, I'd suggest to pick up a 360mm AIO and some good quality thermal paste like TG Kryonaut/Condactonaut, though under moderate loads(gaming) I'm assuming you'r fine with the current setup.
May I ask what cooler etc. u got?
On the long term i think i need to change it since b660 is non overclockable. And cant use the K versions at full potencial thats annoying.
I have s good enough cooler DarkRock TF2 tdp 240w more then enough for the 13600k.
I found one available asus prime z690 p for 195dollars i think is a good deal tje downside is that it uses ddr5 but on the long term is ok i gues

Reactions: Why_Me