Question Is an RTX 4070 compatible with a Z170A GAMING M7 mobo ?

swapnil_7

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2015
Hey Guys, I hope all is well!

My existing 970 isn't working as expected (ongoing discussion) so I'm looking to get a new GPU unless I can get my 970 to work. I'm thinking of 4070 and need to know the following:

1. Would it be compatible with MSI Z170A GAMING M7 (I've found a couple of folks running 2070 and 3080 on this mobo, so I'm pretty sure 4070 would run as well but I need to be sure since 4070 is a considerable buy)

2. I believe my Intel Core i7-6700k 4.0 Ghz CPU would be a bottleneck in this scenario, thoughts?

3. What amount of bottlenecking is expected in terms of FPS %? I understand my processor is not in league with 4070

PS: I can't afford a new CPU right now, and since my existing GPU isn't working, skipping a GPU replacement isn't an option.

Do you guys think I should be getting any other GPU instead of 4070?

Solution
1. Would it be compatible with MSI Z170A GAMING M7 (I've found a couple of folks running 2070 and 3080 on this mobo, so I'm pretty sure 4070 would run as well but I need to be sure since 4070 is a considerable buy)
Yes, PCIe is forwards and backwards compatible.

2. I believe my Intel Core i7-6700k 4.0 Ghz CPU would be a bottleneck in this scenario, thoughts?
That depends on how much FPS you want. Run all the games you want at low quality settings at a low resolution, that'll tell you how much FPS the CPU is capable of pushing.

3. What amount of bottlenecking is expected in terms of FPS %? I understand my processor is not in league with 4070
There's no precise answer to this because it...

Lutfij

Titan
You didn't mention the make and model of your PSU on your other thread. Please keep in mind that an old PSU will not output what it did when brand new.

As for the GPU, you might want to look into a concurrent generation platform, or a couple of generations ahead of what you currently have to get the most out of the RTX4070.

Last edited:

swapnil_7

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2015
You didn't mention the make and model of your PSU on your other thread. Please keep in mind that an old PSU will not output what it did when brand new.

As for the GPU, you might want to look into a concurrent generation platform, or a couple of generations ahead of what you currently have to get the most out of the RTX4070.
Antec truepower classic 750W

Yes, PCIe is forwards and backwards compatible.

That depends on how much FPS you want. Run all the games you want at low quality settings at a low resolution, that'll tell you how much FPS the CPU is capable of pushing.

There's no precise answer to this because it depends entirely on the settings, system configuration, how the application works etc.

Also those bottleneck calculators are garbage because they don't provide any really useful information

PS: I can't afford a new CPU right now, and since my existing GPU isn't working, skipping a GPU replacement isn't an option.

Do you guys think I should be getting any other GPU instead of 4070?
Given that you'll likely should get a new PSU, I would say if you need something now, settle for something like an RX 6600 and save up for a new system. Otherwise just save up for a new system.

If the PCIe 3.0 vs 4.0 thing worries you:

Solution