[SOLVED] Is anyone familiar with this behavior?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I'm not sure whether it's hardware or software related, so I thought to post here...

A)Playing a game, browser is running in the background:
-Character/avatar will stop moving, but you can still see them 'breathing', and audio is looping, the rest of the game is unresponsive though.
-I can alt-tab or Windows key out to the browser, but clicking on anything will 'load forever'.
-If I mouse over my icons in the taskbar, they get stuck like that and the clock will freeze.
-Ctrl+Alt+Delete, no response.
-Backspace+F4, no response.
-I am forced to power off/restart.

B)Running Asus Realbench 8hr stress test overnight. If I wake up before the test is finished:
-Everything 'appears' to be running, but the first oddity I notice is that my fans aren't running as high.
-Realbench is reporting that the cpu is idling, kinda bouncing between 0-7%. The main window's timer is still running, but that smaller window that pops up along with it has frozen - a few hours in, according to it's timer.
The Luxmark render window has frozen as well.

-Hwinfo's still 'running' too: the cpu and gpu are idling, the clock's still running, all the other numbers and stuff are still running... I can even close the app without the system 'freezing' - granted, it's already frozen past this point.
-When the test does finish, it freezes.
-Ultimately, it's frozen and I'm forced to power off/restart.

C)Browse the web, watch Youtube videos all day long:
-Not a problem at all.

Because the system doesn't blue or black screen crash during these soft freezes, I can't seem to get any recent dump files for this. Running the Whocrashed Home Edition pulls up dumps for 2 errors I troubleshooted like 2 weeks ago.
Event Viewer and Reliability Monitor pull up a bunch of the following, but I can't make heads or tails out of them:
-65, AppModel-Runtime
-10005, DistributedCOM
I figure they're from the forced shut offs I've had to do, because the system doesn't crash on its own...

What I've tried so far with no success:
-Update the bios and reset CMOS, running the cpu at stock; no overclock.
-Updated Windows to 20H2.
-CMD Prompt the DISM and sfc scan.
-There's no manual gpu overclock, as I haven't needed to do that since I hybrid cooled it. I do raise the power and temp limit sliders.
-Disabled hardware acceleration in Firefox browser.
-Reconnected all the psu cable connections.
-Reinserted the gpu, and also remounted the Fractal Celsius cooler.
-DDU between drivers 457.30 and 460.89.

I reinstalled Windows back in October-November.

In progress: Gpu power limit set to 50%.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I'm typing this from my phone, because the PC is still running Memtest.
Crap, I forgot how long this program would take🤣
Anyways, it's 8.5hrs in at pass 7/8, and going well.

@Crosslhs82x2
Mornin'!
No, evidence still points to GPU or psu.
Last night, I tried to raise the power limit - didn't get very far.
50 and 60% are stable, but it starts again at 70%.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I know it's a P I T A to keep doing Ddu knowing you tried other versions but
would the original driver show any different? Maybe like 416 / 432.
I will try it when I have more time - I'm going to be away from the house for a bit.

Any way to measure voltage / amperage
On the gpu cables? Is your psu modular to swap cables out?
I don't have a multi-meter, if that's what you're asking?

I do have a spare pair of PCIe cables with this psu, so I will also try that too and let you know how it all goes.

It was just a thought on the voltages but hey who knows until you try, and very sure you would be Very Happy if it was as simple as a cable.

Maybe hwinfo64 may show any voltage variances or drop outs ? Between where it's ok 50-60% and then not at 70% ?

Very interested on what it is.
Good luck and Take Care!!!!!

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
UPDATE
So I got the 384.76 driver from Gigabyte's website - the support page for the gpu, and I switched out the PCIe cables.
-No crashes after 30mins of play.
-I tried to run Realbench, but the gpu goes idle - only the cpu and ram would load. The Luxmark render gave out some kind of OpenGL error. So a whole lot of good that does me.
-I ran Msi Kombustor, but I don't know how reliable that is.
Can I even use such an old driver for newer titles? I do plan on trying out Cyberpunk 2077 in a couple more months...

I realized I did too many things at once, so I backed up a bit and put the old cables back in.
Runs fine.
Ok, lemme go back and try the other drivers.
I tried the 451.67 driver, and... no problems.
I tried the 457.30 driver, and... all clear again...?
Then I go to the 460.89 driver, and it's fine too?

Yes, I already tried unplugging/reconnecting all my cables and reseating the gpu. That was the first thing I did, because I made that mistake before.
My mind is full of WUT right now.

I guess I can send the psu back once it gets here? It's not expected until next week though.
I'm going to keep running tests in the meantime; I feel something like this shouldn't 'fix itself'.

By the way, is there a full system stress alternative to Realbench - because it is a few years out of date after all?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
@Colif
~Yeah, I want to give that a couple more months...

Aida64, huh?
UGH, I might just bite the bullet and buy it... there's going to be a point where Realbench's stress test is no longer relevant - or perhaps we're already past that point...

Maybe a combination. Prime 95 + Furmark or Heaven/Valley then play Tetris :)
Worth a shot. I'll see what happens - err, minus the Tetris, XD

Reactions: boju

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Wait, so when you plugged everything back in with the old cables it's now working fine with higher than 60% power limit?
Yeah, but I already tried unplugging and replugging all the cables before. Maybe I used too much pressure last time - I wanted to be sure they weren't wiggling.

Soooo, we good or GPU still goes idle...?
The gpu went idle in Realbench on the 384.76 driver. That's it.

I'm going to try Prime 95 and Msi Kombustor tonight.

Reactions: alceryes

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
UPDATE:
It's been what, 3 nights of testing so far, I think? Anyways:
1)Cinebench R23 + Heaven Benchmark. Ran overnight.
I need to mention that Cinebench ran on the 2nd monitor and Heaven on the Main.
No issues.

2)I tried to do Prime95 + Heaven Benchmark, but the cpu throttled at the 90C custom limit I set. I hadn't been able to finish tweaking the voltage for new OC after all.
I went to Cinebench R23 + Kombustor's OpenGL stress test instead.
No issues.

3)I ran Cinebench R23 + Heaven Benchmark again, but I added an old gpu overclock that I copied - with a small downclock in memory - from one of Gamers' Nexus 1080Ti reviews: +75 core, +400mem.
Within a few minutes of the testing, the PC shut off and restarted. :openmouth:

So I tried it again, with the same settings. It didn't restart this time - instead, the soft freeze returned:
When Heaven changes scenes, it fades to black. Yep, the main monitor was stuck on that transition - the 2nd screen was still fine, for a time.
Attempts to stop and close the applications... unresponsive like before.

So I gave it one more go before I called it a night, but it did the same thing as before.

Redout: Enhanced Edition(Steam)
Trials of Mana(Steam)
F-Zero GX(Dolphin Emulator)
Skies of Arcadia Legends(Dolphin Emulator)
That's what I've been playing as of late. Yeah, I'm not big fan of AAA titles...
I tried going through few of your previous comments.

So is it stable with Base Clocks or is the same issue occurring even with Base Clocks. Sometimes OC can be issue.

One member had similar issue with i7-7700K and GTX1080 setup his issue was with CPU though. Reinstalling it solved it. But yeah we did try re-seating GPU RAM SSD HDD and Reinstall Windows Twice before Re-Installing CPU.