Is anyone maintaining these forums? They're in bad shape...

Dec 4, 2018
I've just had perhaps the most ridiculous experience of my internet life trying to log into these forums. I've been a user on here for probably over a decade, but haven't posted in a few years. However I store all my passwords in a password manager, so when the interest arose, I was all set to log in and post. Except...

The site said my login info was invalid. "Minor annoyance," I thought. "Maybe they changed their login system and everyone needed to reset their password." So I clicked the Forgot Password link and a few moments later I received an email with a link that I could use to reset my password. Clicked the link, entered a password on the following page and...

"There was an error resetting your password." No indication of what this error was. Was there an internal server error? Were there too many characters in my password? Too few? Not enough ampersands? There was no shortage of questions one could ask, but only one thing was certain: There was an error.

Subsequently clicking on the password reset link informed me that the link was one-time use only, so I should contact the systems administrator if I needed further help. "Okay!" I thought. "Now I'll get to the bottom of this mess with some good old technical support!" There was no specific link given for the systems administrator, so I located the Contact Us link on the bottom of every Tom's Hardware page.

I was redirected to Tom's Hardware's parent site, Purch, where I could select from several exciting "Contact Us" scenarios. Was I an advertiser looking to place ads on one of their sites? Another tech website looking to become affiliates? A reporter or journalist looking to write articles? None of the above. I just wanted to log into their [strike]god[/strike] admin-forsaken forum. I chose the first option, and in the box provided I explained my predicament and preemptively thanked the recipient for kindly forwarding my message to the proper department. I figured I could finally take a sigh of relief and twiddle my thumbs for 48 hours while awaiting a response when I clicked the Send Message button, but instead...

"Internal Error". Turns out Purch's website doesn't take kindly to people using it either, and submitting a message to the operators of the site is just a little too futuristic for 2018. At this point, I came to the realization, "I never liked that user name anyway! I'm going to start a new account on the Tom's Hardware forum like I should have from the get-go!" I proceeded to create a new account with a new name and password. Within minutes, I had received an activation link in my email inbox, and I clicked on it like a giddy little schoolgirl learning for the first time that butterflies exist outside of television. I was logged in! Except...

My user name wasn't correct. I had specifically chosen a new user name and the user name on my profile instead reverted to the prefix on my email address. This is quite annoying, as it exposes part of my email address to the public, and, also, it is simply not the profile name which I selected during my account creation.

At that point, I decided it was time to vent by writing an exhaustive (and hopefully at least somewhat entertaining) post airing my grievances and checking to see if anyone actually maintains these forums? Part of me is wondering if this post will even submit properly, but let's see...

COLGeek

Cybernaut
The site is, indeed, maintained and your post was successful.

We are in transition now to a new software baseline. As a result, there are some existing features that are having issues, as you have noted and can be seen in the section of the forum with other members suffering the same problems as you.

Rest assured, these matters are being addressed. Seems you are now posting, so you are able to share your thoughts and ask your questions.

Dec 4, 2018
Good to hear, thanks for the info! I home my post was taken in good humor as it was more an effort to call attention to these issues and vent some frustration rather than heap blame on any individual (particularly moderators since they are at the mercy of the site's administrators just like everyone else). Is it possible for existing profiles to have their nicknames changed after they're created, or are they set in stone?

The login page will not work if you have allow third party cookies disabled. I've run into it many times on Firefox. Allow third party cookies and the login will proceed.

Also it is a good sign if you don't immediately get that error.