Is Apple Already Planning the iPad 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abrahm

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007
Is anyone really surprised by this? Apple has to release a mediocre product, let all of the zealots buy it up at a premium price, then release a slightly improved but still mediocre version of the product a few months later for everyone to buy again. Rinse and repeat.

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
Ah yes. Typical apple.... Only release decent models of 'x' after 2-3 years of dumbass fanbois buying your product at insane prices.

fonzy

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
I hope Apple figures out that there are other tablets that are coming out that are far superior. They can't just rely on the name and the app store to sell it's product.

theuerkorn

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
Leaving room for improvement. I guess they're trying to push annual updates on the iPad too, and this is an easy one. Forward-thinking product line management.

G

[citation][nom]fonzy[/nom]I hope Apple figures out that there are other tablets that are coming out that are far superior. They can't just rely on the name and the app store to sell it's product.[/citation]

They probably do realize that, but don't care. They just sit there and laugh as the fanbois snap up their inferior product.

Engineering manager: "Gentlemen, we can either work hard and create a great product, or push some of our budget over to marketing and head home early. What say you?"
Engineers: (room empties instantly)

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
[citation][nom]shadow187[/nom]This is absolutely horrible that they'd do this. It's like microsoft charging for the first Windows_7 service pack, :\.[/citation]

Microsoft did charge for Vista SP3 -- they call it Windows 7.

jchoefer

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
The first thing I though when I saw the specs was "WTF! No Webcam?!" Granted it's not something everyone would use, but it's such a ubiquitous component in mobile devices that I didn't understand how they could overlook it!

Turns out they didn't. Just saving it as a way of increasing sales.

cablechewer

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
Why does this always surprise people? When you make a product you have a list of features you want to include, but they get cut from the shipping device for one reason or another (greed, lack of time, cost, bug discovered so you cut instead of fixing, etc, etc.). Most large hardware and software companies have a plan for version n+1 months (in some cases years) before version n is ready to ship. Often the specs for version n+1 are complete within days of version n shipping. Work can then begin on the next version immediately (thus making efficient use of Dev/engineering staff). Once work starts it is really only a question of which features will be pushed to versions n+2 or n+3.

mustwarnothers

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
[citation][nom]cablechewer[/nom]Why does this always surprise people? When you make a product you have a list of features you want to include, but they get cut from the shipping device for one reason or another (greed, lack of time, cost, bug discovered so you cut instead of fixing, etc, etc.). Most large hardware and software companies have a plan for version n+1 months (in some cases years) before version n is ready to ship. Often the specs for version n+1 are complete within days of version n shipping. Work can then begin on the next version immediately (thus making efficient use of Dev/engineering staff). Once work starts it is really only a question of which features will be pushed to versions n+2 or n+3.[/citation]

I think why it's surprising nowadays, is because this is supposed to be a forward thinking, revolutionary device (these are not my words).

Look, I like some of Apple's products, and I'm by no means a total hater, but it's beginning to get absurd.

They put a camera/video recorder on their current gen iPod Nano, but the "Game changing" futuristic touchscreen tablet device that runs proprietary software from Apple App Store doesn't have a camera?

Are you kidding me?

The reason it's totally absurd is because these new devices from Apple keep getting more and more expensive at their base price point, but they still gouge the shit out of you with the features.

So instead of it just being a 200 dollar iPhone that you need to spend another 300 dollars on to get video, its a 500 dollar tablet PC, that you'll have to spend another 600 dollars on to get a forward facing camera.

That is purely obscene. Even someone who can afford and loves all things Apple has to agree.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
What a load of iDogshit

If I wanted to spend a small fortune on something that only looks pretty and is not functional I would buy a Van Gogh. At least Vincent doesn't wait for you to shell out a king's ransom before releasing "Sunflowers 2.0"

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
[citation][nom]deadlockedworld[/nom]Microsoft did charge for Vista SP3 -- they call it Windows 7.[/citation]

Along those lines, XP was just a service pack for Windows 2000.

I know it's cool to say, but it's really getting old.

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Of course they're working on an iPad 2. I'm a hater, I admit it, but this is a no brainer. Tech companies survive (and thrive) on early adopters, and they will always be releasing new devices.

Boxa786

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
rofl since when has apple ever got it right?

Since when has apple given all that they can in their first gen products?

Ipod took what 4 generations?

Iphone 3 generations?

God knows how many times it took for a mac, mac laptop

This is apple, they have their hard core fans and the dumb general consumers who will simply buy by "omg its white and it looks apple"...

Google ftw, now off to read on their tablet os :D

If google wanted, im sure they could catch up with apple in a year or two with handsets and tablets...

fafner

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010
[citation][nom]shadow187[/nom]This is absolutely horrible that they'd do this. It's like microsoft charging for the first Windows_7 service pack, :\.[/citation]

Isn't Windows 7 sort of like a Vista service pack?

urlsen

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2007
Win 7 is not vista service pack...vista was new backend to XP Win 7 is what vista was supposed to be but never was...

Win 7 still rules Vista still sucks balls

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
Comparing Windows software updates to the absence of a run-of-the-mill webcam is not valid. Microsoft isn't taking basic features away and then re-adding them. Whether you love Windows or hate it, each incremental update represents a step forward.

fafner

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010
[citation][nom]urlsen[/nom]Win 7 is not vista service pack...vista was new backend to XP Win 7 is what vista was supposed to be but never was...Win 7 still rules Vista still sucks balls[/citation]

But that's my point. MS is charging people again for something they should have delivered first time around.

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
[citation][nom]theuerkorn[/nom]Leaving room for improvement. I guess they're trying to push annual updates on the iPad too, and this is an easy one. Forward-thinking product line management.[/citation]
Surprised you got voted down for this comment - as I think you're dead on. It is planned obsolescence to keep new product updates selling, something that several other posters commented on (and got up votes).

Almost all companies are the same - its about how do you maximize selling units. Take movies. First put the movie out in the theater, then put it exclusively on premium movie cable channels, then release the DVD, then release the extended DVD, then release the extended edition with new behind-the-scenes features pack, then release the unrated version, then release the directors cut DVD, then release the Collectors edition DVD, then release the... oh, I think you get the point.

[citation][nom]fonzy[/nom]I hope Apple figures out that there are other tablets that are coming out that are far superior. They can't just rely on the name and the app store to sell it's product.[/citation]

I said it before and I'll say it again - I don't think it matters. For just about every product, there has been something in existence that could be considered its rival. However, Apple's image of simplicity and usability (and "coolness") dominates the consumer minds "Cause we all wanna be big silhouettes, dancing with iTunes with white cords in..." (Yeah, I just ripped off Nickleback... pretty lame, eh?)

Sad thing is people really lock themselves into Apples control. How many times have we heard about the arbitrary nature of their apps approval process. You get what Apple feels fits their image - and if it doesn't fit their image despite being useful, then you'd have to go to something like Windows or Linux to doom yourself to being teased as a fat stuffed-shirt corporate geek. You'd no longer be hip, cool, and young... you'd be... OMG - Middle AGED!!!!

Sorry, got off track. Point is people don't buy Apple iPods because they are the best device on the market. They will not buy the iPad because it is a great device that holds all the features that a $2000-$3000 slate PC running windows 7 does (or the ModBook) or because of its new an innovating design. They'll buy it to be another silhouette dancing with white cords, to feel young and cool - because that's what the TV ads tells them they will be.

mbmcavoy

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
This is what's known in engineering as a "provision". Marketing and cost accounting are still finalizing whether or not a feature will make it in to the final product, but you need to design your part *now*. So, you design your parts so that it can accommodate it.

Perhaps the camera was left out to keep the price under $500, or that using the hand-held camera for video-conferencing makes the other people seasick.

Yes, this also gives apple the option to slide in a camera at some point. However, the entire bezel would likely be redesigned for a second-gen iPad 2. Of course there will be an iPad 2.

I don't get the hate about Apple improving today's designs in the future. Isn't Intel going to come out with a new CPU next year, ATI a new video card, and Microsoft a new OS?

Status
Not open for further replies.