[SOLVED] Is BIOS updating necessary?

RyzenNoob

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
I've got the B450-i from Gigabyte, it's AMD compatible OOBE with 1st and 2nd gen AMD Ryzen, also the Ryzen with the GPU embedded

I have the Ryzen 3rd gen for my new build. I haven't got all the parts yet, but wanting to know if I boot on without a BIOS update that will make it compatible to my new CPU, what will happen? Will it boot up or will it not boot up? I am also wondering if AMD would supply a rental boot kit?

Solution
I've got the B450-i from Gigabyte, it's AMD compatible OOBE with 1st and 2nd gen AMD Ryzen, also the Ryzen with the GPU embedded

I have the Ryzen 3rd gen for my new build. I haven't got all the parts yet, but wanting to know if I boot on without a BIOS update that will make it compatible to my new CPU, what will happen? Will it boot up or will it not boot up? I am also wondering if AMD would supply a rental boot kit?
It you need the bios update then do it. If you need help from AMD, they have a loaner program HERE last paragraph.

RealBeast

Titan

It you need the bios update then do it. If you need help from AMD, they have a loaner program HERE last paragraph.

Reactions: RyzenNoob
Solution

RyzenNoob

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
An update, finally fitted all the parts, asked AMD for a bootkit, but they said that I would require an email from Gigabyte to get one.......

So, in order to get that email, I would therefore have to try see if it would boot....it did, why? Because the BIOS/UEFI was already compatible with the CPU...so no more fretting.......