Is clock speed more important than cache size?

bulldogninja

Honorable
Apr 23, 2012
I am trying to decide between an AMD FX-4170, FX-6100, and a FX-8100, the 4170 has the highest clock speed but the other two have more cache "space". This computer will be for watching videos, listening to music, doing homework, possibly some CAD, and tons of gaming. I am paring it with an ASUS Sabertooth 990x board and am also not sure of what ram would be best. Thanks

bulldogninja

Honorable
Apr 23, 2012
Thank you for your response. How would a phenom II X4 955 compare to those listed? I would like to stay under $150 for the CPU. If anyone has any reccommendations for a good CPU under that $150 price point, please do share.

aicom

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
Did somebody say megahertz myth? You need to learn the concept of IPC. Clock speed x Instructions Per Clock (IPC) is going to get your performance. The AMD FX processors have a notoriously low IPC even when compared to AMD's last generation Phenom II parts. Compared to Sandy/Ivy Bridge, there is simply no competition. IPC is why a Core i5 2500 4-core part beats an FX-8150 8-core part in most benchmarks. For gaming, the Phenom II X4 is going to be your best option, especially with overclocking. IPC really comes into play with less threaded applications like games, web browsing, music, etc. The Phenom II X4 will outperform all of your listed processors in those tasks, but the FX-8100 will give the X4 a run for its money in rendering tasks that are more thread heavy.

sk1939

Distinguished

I'm well aware of what IPC is and does. I would hesitate to go with AMD for that reason, but under $150 limits your options. The Passmark score the for 955 is lower than any of the other chips on the list, but IPC does come into play. Also have to consider parts availability, since they no longer make the Phenom.

aicom

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012

Sorry, I was directing my statement to the OP.

4745454b

Titan
Wouldn't bother. Intel's 2100/2100 is under $150 and faster gaming wise then anything AMD has. You can also grab the 2400 and mop the floor with anything AMD has. Not sure if the 2400 is under $150, probably not.

I'd take the older 955 over the FX chips. FX just isn't worth it right now.

bulldogninja

Honorable
Apr 23, 2012
Alright so in light of this new info, i'll probably just tough it up and spend a little extra for the i5. In your honest opinion is the extra $100 bucks to upgrade to an i7 worth it? Also, does anyone think the price of all Sandy Bridge will go down since today's release of Ivy Bridge? Which i5,i7 models will give you best CAD, Gaming, and multitasking performance. I really appreciate all your help as I am new to the world of computers and want to build my first.

bulldogninja

Honorable
Apr 23, 2012
And just to clarify on the definition of multitasking, would you consider Playing minecraft,BF3,streaming online radio, and watching videos an i7 or i5 job. Would playing BF3 and streaming radio alone be more of i5 or i7 as well. Thanks for all the help guys.

bulldogninja

Honorable
Apr 23, 2012
Ok, I think originally wanted to go i7,but the guys at work told me a AMD would be fine, i don't really want to buy an AMD from what i have heard now. Do you think that the price of the sandy bridge CPUs will go down at all?