is craigslist good?

Hi
I don't live in the US, but still, here in India we have a site olx.in that is very similar to craigslist.
So I wanna know if craigslist is a good site or not. How are people's experiences with that site?

P.S. Not trying to insult anyone, but craigslist is one of the ugliest sites I've seen.

Solution

This, make sure that it isn't stolen or anything though.

MikeTheCISGuy

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013
In some situations, it is very good. You can get some pretty amazing deals on there. I'd recommend against going to the listing by yourself, always have someone to go with. Also, if the price seems to good to be true, it probably is.

goodguy713

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
here state side there have been many crimes related to theft muggings and even deaths. due to that site how ever many people still use it and while your always taking risks when meeting people from online sources. it is a good way to find deals locally its no where near as safe as say ebay or selling your items used on amazon. most just say to make sure you meet in a very public place.

That is the thing. People don't want to get involved in a potential fraud situation.
Some months ago some guy put an ad on olx.in to sell his mobile phone.
Two guys contacted him, fixed a meeting place, and when he went there, beat him senseless, snatched the phone and disappeared.
I recently saw a guy selling his twin MSi gtx295's at INR 5000 (<$90) each.
But since he was in a different city, I decided not to go ahead with the transaction. My PSU wouldn't be able to handle them anyway, being a corsair cx430.

USAFRet

Titan
craigslist is simply an online version of the For sale ads. You're just buying from some guy. It is not a place to buy stuff from, but merely a meeting place for sellers and buyers.

I've bought a few things from people there. I would never, ever buy something there that I could not see and touch in person. Local. Which brings its own hazards.
A few months ago I bought a car from a craigslist ad. Drive it around, cash and title traded hands, done. Of course I had a friend sitting in her car, ready to scoot and call cops if necessary. "If I'm not out in 10 minutes, leave and call cops."
And that works both ways.

The Indian version is probably very similar. Buying from some dude.

It may be 'ugly', but it is effective and fast.

So my speculation was right, craigslist and olx couldn't be more similar.
Effectively, boils down to the same thing -- everything has its pros and cons.

USAFRet

Titan

Right. But craigslist does not 'sell' anything. It is merely a bulletin board for people to post ads.

OLX is the same. Here, check for yourself:
www.olx.in

This, make sure that it isn't stolen or anything though.

Solution