Question Is DirectX 12 the ‘Default’ for Modern GPUs?

May 1, 2023
I have a Gigabyte RTX 3070 Eagle, and am unable to run dxdiag or anything since I can’t access my pc atm

I had this pc built and set up this year in February; does this mean I should be running on DirectX 12, and not 11 right?

the people who assembled my pc didn’t just slap it together and ship, they went ahead and enabled XMP for me and updated my Bios and drivers beforehand, so I was wondering if it’s safe to assume I’m running on DirectX 12? unless it’s just the ‘default’ for modern GPUs/PCs?

I run Windows 10 with a 5800x CPU

I have ddr4-3600mhz Corsair Vengeance ram if that matters, my pc has good, modern components

Last edited:
May 1, 2023
If you're on Windows 10 or above, you're automatically on Direct X 12. It's not just the OPS, you have the hardware that the OS can leverage so it's all in tandem.
ah I see, so Windows 10 = Direct X 12 by default then

I thought it might’ve been an option that you choose when setting the OS up (between DirectX 11 or 12) and was worried 11 might have been the default and that the people who built the pc might have glossed over it before sending it

Your current GPU, the RTX 3070 already supports DirectX 12 Ultimate API by default. In fact, DirectX 12 is supported by all Ampere, Turing, Pascal, Maxwell, Kepler and Fermi GPUs.

Windows 10 and 11 OS come with pre-installed DirectX12 APIs. You just need to open any game title which requires or supports DirectX12, and then you can go to display/graphics settings and change the DirectX version to DirectX12.

DirectX 12 is built-in Windows 10. You don’t need to do anything else. Currently almost all new PC systems supports it. DirectX 12 Ultimate was rolled out to Windows 10 with version 2004 and is in Windows 11 as standard

Last edited:
May 1, 2023
Your current GPU, the RTX 3070 already supports DirectX 12 Ultimate API by default. In fact, DirectX 12 is supported by all Ampere, Turing, Pascal, Maxwell, Kepler and Fermi GPUs.

Windows 10 and 11 OS come with pre-installed DirectX12 APIs. You just need to open any game title which requires or supports DirectX12, and then you can go to display/graphics settings and change the DirectX version to DirectX12.

DirectX 12 is built-in Windows 10. You don’t need to do anything else. Currently almost all new PC systems supports it. DirectX 12 Ultimate was rolled out to Windows 10 with version 2004 and is in Windows 11 as standard
thank you! that’s very helpful, and I guess that eliminates the concern of the people who built it ‘forgetting’ to activate X 12 instead of 11

my Windows is currently up to date, outside of some 05-23 cumulative preview update so part of me assumed I would be on X12

TRENDING THREADS