Is FX 8120 Bulldozer supported on Gigabyte GA 970A UD3

Arith

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
Or not?

Got no graphics, no beep and have paid a computer tech to test everything and he says mobo not working, but everything else ok.

So I asked to arrange an RMA and the chap on the telephone costing a pound a minute stated that FX_8120 doesn't work on this mobo.

It is rev 1.0 and I don't know the BIOS version, according to Gigabyte the cpu is supported from version f3.

So have I been sold a duff, since I do not know anyway to update BIOS on a board that isn't working, and why should I have to since it is just listed as supported on the main page; all FX supported.

This is like a sort of small print problem isn't it, how do I flash BIOS since I haven't got a compatible cpu but Gigabyte say it is compatible. :heink:

This is direct from Gigabytes product page for your MB:
To enable AM3+ AMD FX-Series CPU support, please update your motherboard with the most current BIOS found in your motherboard’s download section.

If you can temporarily get another non bulldozer cpu to use, you can install that, update the bios, and then install the bulldozer cpu.

ref GA-970A-UD3 - http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3907#dl
CPU - http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/cpu-support-popup.aspx?pid=3907

The FX-8120 requires BIOS version F3 or later to boot, BIOS version F1 is the first release. Therefore, if you MOBO shipped with BIOS F1 then it will not post.

Solutions:
1. Donor CPU - Sempron 140 or Sempron 145 ; cheapest supported CPU with lowest BIOS version.
2. Send MOBO to Gigabyte and they'll update the BIOS ; 2+ weeks
3. Borrow a supported AM3 CPU
4. Computer Shop.

Arith

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
That explains a lot, don't know how to send to Gigabyte because they say return to vendor.

Cheapest Sempron 145 £28.95 but I object to spending it.

Cheers jaquith

Here's the thing, I see a few of your exact same problem come-up weekly and the next MOBO might have the same issue. This isn't a 'Gigabyte' only problem, it's a universal problem to ALL AM3+ MOBO with pre-FX BIOS. If you spoke to a 'tier-2' aka knowledgeable person then they would recommend the same -- send it to Gigabyte and have them flash the BIOS.

Yeah, no doubt this is a PITA, and I agree why send out a MOBO that cannot post with the FX CPU in the forst place. Honestly, a lot of the burden falls on AMD for delaying CPUID information to e.g. Gigabyte and others so they could send out a minimal BIOS.

Arith

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
I only saw the stuff about compatible, nothing at all from the latest stuff I've seen here. Actually it is another 30 quid and not too cool on flashing BIOS at all, since I never believe I've got an accurate download with windows.

I want to know if it can still be done without windows, but from BIOS. It is the only way I've done it before.

Arith

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012

I viewed that but I cannot locate an F8 file in a download, the BIOS I downloaded using this machine XP 32 bit was version F8 for windows 7 64 bit. Lots of files but cannot locate F8 BIOS file.

I'm ordering a Sempron tomorrow but only if I can see the BIOS file. :??:

The motherboard is REV 1.0 so is 1.x ok?

Arith

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
I made a mistake and have now downloaded F4 BIOS, the other thing I downloaded was for the chipset but I don't know what that is for.

If you follow this link you get to Gigabyte without any warnings and this is how I chose the motherboard over Asus and others.

http://ee.gigabyte.com/microsites/58/data/900-models.html

It does say at the bottom to check cpu support and if you follow BIOS you see version f4 and checking cpu gives > f3 for all but one, and this is why I got it wrong.

I thought all new motherboards came with new BIOS.

A little note for the inexperienced of the sort stating that you need AM3 processor before FX will work and would have got me back to Phenom II.

Thanks for the great help.

F3 is the older MINIMUM BIOS for the FX CPU's, F4 is the updated, and F5b is a beta which I didn't recommend. As the BIOS version goes up its to address 'BUGS' found in each prior versions, added features, or added 'new' CPUs.

I'd use F4.

Arith

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012

I've returned it to the vendor, who has tested it and agrees with the diagnosis. Also afterwards I recently got an email from Gigabyte telling me to return it to Gigabyte.

I had already returned it to the vendor because they were only going to charge me for one way postage, and because if there were any other faults then they would be detected on site.

So I'm just waiting waiting, I think maybe they have returned it to Gigabyte for updating although they build computers as well as sell parts.

According to a friend who was manager of a computer building business with a ten million turnover, sometimes parts all within specs fail to work together after only a couple of weeks :eek: I don't think I'm going to mess with this stuff again, especially since it was to replace my current pc which I built only 4 years ago, where my C drive has grown 5GB in a month and is subject to frequent shutdowns; apparently caused by faulty anti virus 'Kaspersky'.

Looks like something is very wrong but I do not know how to check for rootkit. :pt1cable:

Kaspersky is fine. I use ESET (Smart Security 5) and Norton (NIS 2012). There's no perfect AV. You WILL run into problems changing AV vendors IF you don't run their 'Removal Tool' not to be confused with Uninstaller.

Gigabyte, ASUS, etc has a 2 week+ turnaround time.

Arith

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
Got it working now; the shop actually charged me for the service would you believe, where the mobo must be over a year old.

I know it is a stupid question, but the reason I'm building a new computer is because my old one reverted to old BIOS and I don't know why; if the new computer hangs and resets, do I have to pull it all apart again?

I've optomised BIOS and noticed the memory reported as 1333 and CAS 11, where I bought Ballistix with stickers on stating 1600 MHz latency 8,8,8,24.

I set Memory Clock 8x
1T/2T to 2T
CAS latency to 8
RAS to CAS R/W Delay to 8
Row Precharge time to 8
Minimum RAS Active time to 24

I don't know if this is right or completely wrong, everything else left on auto and it hasn't had anything more than ultimate boot on it yet.

Arith

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
Got windows running; everything appears ok except when I pressed f9 in BIOS I discovered the backup BIOS is still f1.

How do I get the backup to be f4?

Also a problem with Express recovery 2, the stupid thing thinks an optical drive is a hdd, maybe cos I got the optical in sata 0, and hdd in sata 1-5.

Pressing {F#} Function keys won't change your version of the BIOS. You can on most MOBO's/BIOS save 'Profiles'. Other than that I don't know what you're talking about.

When you post into the BIOS it should state what version of BIOS is installed or you can use CPU-z in the Mainboard tab; use -> http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

As far as saving BIOS Profiles read you manual. Normally its F11 to save (add name) and F12 to load a saved profile.

If you are somehow 'losing' the BIOS and an old one is reloading then either the primary BIOS ROM chip is 'bad' or the primary BIOS is constantly getting corrupted. Contact Gigabyte.

Arith

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
It is the backup BIOS of the dual BIOS system that is F1, I already did the f11 thing and saved , but I don't think that will do any good since if BIOS becomes corrupted the cpu will no longer work.

I got version F4 but I have already clocked the memory because optimum settings were not what I bought, and if the system becomes unstable I might end up with nothing again.

As regards Express Recovery, that is a bundled feature and switching cables around might fix it, if I could be bothered.

Cheers

Arith

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012

alt+<f12> during post works, it is amazing but now I have the mobo I thought I bought in the first place. Got some more probs now it is working, I get high temp spikes near or over the limit, doesn't make sense since I leave it idle for hours to bed in, just a video playing without sound.

I used OCCT in the past because it would shut down at a set temp, but looking at it I have 20 28 on idle, but max 70??? :sweat:

Don't use OCCT or any App (Easy Tune6, Cloud OC, etc) to OC your CPU. I assume the vCore is set too high and the OC is otherwise bad. Worst is to install multiple BIOS invasive Apps conflicting with one another. Uninstall them ALL and manually OC, it's dirt simple with an unlocked CPU...Multiplier and vCore.

Make sure you have good airflow that makes sense and in general negative pressure i.e. more air out than in.

Arith

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
It is only on default settings, optimum default and I was just letting it idle by playing videos over and over.

The temperature voltages fan speeds are got through a third party software by CPUID and since it shows min fan 2 speed = 0 I think maybe it is misreported, certainly everytime I looked at it the Vcore voltage was 0.9V and temps <28.

When I set about OC I want stock speeds but with less volts, and I need to ensure 0 errors over several hours of testing, working up to it a bit at a time, and also I wanted the test to halt on temp of Vcore >55C.

It is being run in a cold environment and I don't want it too cook in the summer :)

http://arismetique.com/downloads/HWMonitor.txt

That's nice at stock. However, again -- trust me -- don't install any OC'ing Applications they conflict with each other, they're always running (in your face or not), and they are root causes of so many problems I cannot list them all. Use the BIOS!