Is FX-8350 good?

Despaxir

Reputable
Aug 31, 2015
Hey guys, I'm trying to build my first PC and decided to go with the CPU FX-8350 Black Edition with MSI Gtx 960 and was wondering can they run LoL at 1080p with stable 60 fps and medium to high settings, or just medium depending on which gives more FPS. I'm also planning to play Skyrim Legendary Edition with few mods at same settings but at stable 30 fps ( I don't care much for fps in single player games). Also I'm willing to lower the resolutions to 720p or 900p on LoL depending on which will give me more FPS. And I also want to play Guild Wars 2 but on 720p and medium to high settings or just medium, depending on which gives me more FPS, on stable 60 fps since it can drop lot of FPS during WvW and stuff.

I'm only concerned because I looked into it myself and FX-8350 is good with multithread and things that use lots of cores but not with single threads and that uses less cores ( which LoL does). So I'm just worried, can you guys clarify for me pls.

Also, if you guys can suggest an intel alternative within the same price range then that will be really helpful ^_^

For the motherboard with this, I'm planning to go with an MSI 970A-G43 if that's gonna help and obviously an 8gb of ram.

My currency is GBP or the money system we use in London, England. Lastly my budget is 500~ pounds ^^ I'm pretty sure the 960 will help me alot and my main concern is the CPU.

Sorry for the long post guys :(

Solution

KKAW

Admirable

The layout of the post was excellent and easy to read, thank you!

For Leage of Legends 60 fps will be very easy even if you bring the settings up, LOL is not a very demanding game and the GTX 960 will easily handle it.

For the FX 8350 it is a solid CPU for it's price but it is highly unrecommended for gaming purposes. The architecture is old and has next to no upgrade path. Also the fps of the FX 8350 in game is very unstable compared to it's intel counter parts.

Those were the main points why the FX 8350 is not recommended for gaming. A i5 4460 will do great for gaming and if you can afford something like the i5 4590 or i5 4690K that would be even better.

Solution

darkmendez

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
AMD Processor are still good......Intel processor are good but overrated......do within your budget and make sure it don't cost you an arm or leg. If you messing with AMD, make sure you have a stable motherboard. And Intel make sure you don't get a pricey CPU or Motherboard. Avoid overclocking your system unless you know what you are doing.

Despaxir

Reputable
Aug 31, 2015
Cool, but if I were to go with i5 4460, what motherboard would recommend to go with it?? I was gonna go with the 970a-g43 with the fx 8350, so something similiar in price to that would be nice. I will be using gtx 960 and ribjaws 8 gb ramsticks (2x4).

Edit: Would an ASRock Z97 Anniversary Edition motherboard be good??

Despaxir

Reputable
Aug 31, 2015
Hmm, I don't want to go with a micro motherboard coz I don't think they'll perform very well and they are quite compact. I don't like compact stuff. Could you recommend non micro boards? Could the ASRock H81 Pro be suitable instead? Since the i5 4460 can't be overclocked and I'm not planning on crossfire or sli.

Hmm, I don't want to go with a micro motherboard coz I don't think they'll perform very well and they are quite compact. I don't like compact stuff. Could you recommend non micro boards? Could the ASRock H81 Pro be suitable instead? Since the i5 4460 can't be overclocked and I'm not planning on crossfire or sli.

I recommend many micro atx with h97 or h81 chipset. The only really disadvantage with micro atx is the expansion slots being so close too each other. If you are only using one graphic card, it won't be a problem.

Despaxir

Reputable
Aug 31, 2015
Hmmm, anyway thx guys for help ^_^ I still wouldn't go with micro since they are compact and I'm afraid it might get in the way of cooling :/ Also some people say that the graphics card could get in the way of your other ports. Anyway thx for your help guys ^_^ I'm going with the i5 4460, since I'm only really gonna be playing these 3 games ^_^ For the mobo, I think I'll go with H97 Pro4, I'm gonna not gonna overclock or crossfire or sli.