Question Is GTA V still playable with 8gb ram?

Dec 28, 2020
Hi,

After 3 months of not playing GTA V, I decided to download the game again. However, this time I'm only able to play for 5-10 minutes before the game has used up all my RAM and has switched to my pagefile which makes my game stutter to the point it's unplayable. I used to play this game on the same system for hours and it was working fine without any fps drops and stutters from May to August this year, when I deleted it. It just confuses me. Is this some sort of memory leak cause 3 months ago I was able to play the game just fine. or 8gb is just too low now? Have any of you had a similar issue with this game. Any help to resolve this issue would be appreciated, though I think I have tried everything I can.

i5 4590
gtx 1050 ti
8gb ddr3 dual channel
samsung HDD 7200 rpm

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Should still be playable on those specs in single player, not sure about online. 16gb ram becomes more critical when running details into 4gb or more vram use. 8gb ram should still do fine though but can depend on background activity.

I've only ever played gta5 with 16gb and an ssd so couldn't really associate completely, however i did recently reinstall the game on a new system and forgot about enabling vsync ingame. Without vsync on full or half, fps in menus/map is uncapped and is too much for the game to handle and slows to a crawl. The chugging didn't extend to game play though but might be different for you.

Dec 28, 2020
Should still be playable on those specs in single player, not sure about online. 16gb ram becomes more critical when running details into 4gb or more vram use. 8gb ram should still do fine though but can depend on background activity.

I've only ever played gta5 with 16gb and an ssd so couldn't really associate completely, however i did recently reinstall the game on a new system and forgot about enabling vsync ingame. Without vsync on full or half, fps in menus/map is uncapped and is too much for the game to handle and slows to a crawl. The chugging didn't extend to game play though but might be different for you.
It eats up all the ram, regardless of the detail level.. both in single player and online. What baffles me is how I was able to play this game normally a couple of months ago on the same system and now I cannot.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I don't think Rockstar changed anything. Most likely is a setting, in game or Windows that is different from then to now.

Run userbench website for statistics on background usage and clock speeds and link here to results page. Im only interested in these details not percentiles.

Dec 28, 2020
I don't think Rockstar changed anything. Most likely is a setting, in game or Windows that is different from then to now.

Run userbench website for statistics on background usage and clock speeds and link here to results page. Im only interested in these details not percentiles.
I will run that as soon as possible. SInce the last time I played, I have reinstalled my windows 2 times from a different flash drive and there was 1 update for GTA in october. There could be some background process conflicting with the game. I performed a clean install of windows a few days ago and I was able to play the game normally for 2 hours so I thought the issue was resolved since the ram was capped at 6.7 gb. But the next time I launched it, the problem was there again, stutter after 15 mins due to the game using 100% of my HDD.

Dec 28, 2020

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/48122174

Here's a link from the userbenchmark website. I ran the test while system was idle.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Nothing stands out. Little background usage but that could windows doing something.

What have you got listed in startup items in task manager?

Any utilities installed?

Type graphics in search bar next to start and enable hardware accelerated gpu scheduling. Won't fix memory issues but see how that goes anyway, worth having it on.

Is gamebar on and xbox dvr recording off?

Dec 28, 2020
Nothing stands out. Little background usage but that could windows doing something.

Any utilities installed?

Type graphics in search bar next to start and enable hardware accelerated gpu scheduling. Won't fix memory issues but see how that goes anyway, worth having it on.

I have like 5 items in my startup but they're all disabled. I've also tried playing with all services disabled apart from rockstarr library and nvidia container but still nothing changed.
Gamebar seems to be on but I'll try disabling it and recording is off.

https://ibb.co/nmsX70m
Here you can see my ram usage when the game starts stuttering, this was 20 mins into the game, no background apps. System was at 1.6 gb idle when I launched the game.

Dec 28, 2020

Any utilities installed?

I don't really have the option to turn on hardware accelerated gpu scheduling. I'm not seeing it anywhere in graphics settings.

Dec 28, 2020
Have you thought about getting 2x 8gb sticks? Get an sata ssd (Samsung 2tb) while you're at it. Will be worth doing.
Yeah, getting more ram will obviously solve this issue. I thought of upgrading to either 12 or 16 gb. The thing is I have only 2 slots for RAM on my motherboard so first I'll have to sell my 2 x 4gb in order to upgrade to 2 x 8 gb. Honestly, I don't think I can do anything else on my end. I've never had this issue with any other game ever. I also play ac :syndicate on high-very high and after 2-3 hours of playing, the game will cap at 4gb ram usage, with not more than 80 % of my total RAM being used and I can track all the ram usage with msi afterburner or resource monitor. With GTA V I can't track anything and I don't understand its memory allocation. There's usually a 1.5 gb of unexplained RAM usage.

Thanks so much for your replies man.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
No problem, hope it works out. Maybe gta5 is having issues on it's own indirectly. This gta Trilogy release has caused issues with Rockstar socials, the extent of it shouldn't have affected your end, but who knows. Give it a week then see.

Dec 28, 2020
You might just need to go over again and again. the GTA V PC graphics setting and adjust them to what you knew your settings are to be at, to get the best performance.
I've tried every possible graphic settings there are. The issue here isn't with graphics or fps drop but with RAM memory leak that my gta causes.

Dec 28, 2020
No problem, hope it works out. Maybe gta5 is having issues on it's own indirectly. This gta Trilogy release has caused issues with Rockstar socials, the extent of it shouldn't have affected your end, but who knows. Give it a week then see.
I actually managed to reduce the RAM usage today by using a third-party memory cleaning tool but the game was still using my pagefile on my HDD even with 60 % usage. I may not have too much experience in software but I'm pretty sure this isn't a normal behaviour.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
There will always be some pagefile activity, even if you had 32gb ram. Having more ram would help retain more useful information whilst storing irregular use data on the drive.

Windows consumes between 2~3gb for itself, that really doesn't leave much for games out of 8gb, like 5gb, would expect bit more pagefile usage while game code juggles data. So possibly, Win10 is consuming more than before and using memory cleaning tool is a temporary fix until you upgrade.

Dec 28, 2020
Could try set pagefile to a fixed size and see how that goes preventing Windows from constantly change pagefile.sys size. Try initial size 1.5gb and maximum of 24gb.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.to...virtual-memory-pagefile-windows-10,36929.html
I'll try that. It's currently at 4096 mb, both initial and maximum. It's just odd that even when there's at least 2 gb of free RAM for the game to use, it still preferred using my pagefile and not the available RAM. Also, if I disable my pagefile, the game will barely load into the lobby or story mode It's completely unplayable even for a minute.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Games still require pagefile. 4gb is much too low for 8gb system, wouldn't he surprised if that contributed to the slow downs. Make the maximum much bigger, it won't mean it'll store that much but it be a comfortable size/buffer and should prevent data from being completely dropped and reprocessed if pf size was too limiting.

Dec 28, 2020
Games still require pagefile. 4gb is much too low for 8gb system, wouldn't he surprised if that contributed to the slow downs. Make the maximum much bigger, it won't mean it'll store that much but it be a comfortable size/buffer and should prevent data from being completely dropped and reprocessed if pf size was too limiting.
It doesn't really make any difference for me, I've tried setting it to 12gb and 16gb max before. I tried with 24gb now as well and the screen/audio stutters were still there after 15 mins. Once the game has gone through all the ram, it starts pushing my HDD to 100 % as you can see
https://ibb.co/FVgVD8k

Tbh, I don't even feel like playing the game anymore, I just want to understand why this happens.

Dec 28, 2020
Upgrade ram to 2x 8gb. Reinstall os and gta5 on Crucial or Samsung 2tb sata ssd drive. I guarantee you things will be much better and this be done with.
Yeah I'm also sure that solves the issue. I just wanted to see if I can find a temporary solution until I upgrade my RAM. Seems like that's not happening. Also tried contacting rockstar support team but they're not very helpful. I guess I'll have to wait for more RAM and then try to play.

Thank you for your help man !