Question Is HP throttling my CPU ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jun 2, 2024
I have an HP Victus 15L Desktop PC with an Intel i5-12400 CPU and I noticed in HWiNFO that my power limits are severely restricted.

PL1= 65 watts (28 second limit.)
PL2= ONLY 2ms time limit. (So that won't work at all.) So effectively PL2 turbo boost is limited to 65 watts, instead of 117 as proper spec

PL1 should NOT have a time limit. That means the cpu can only sustain 65 watts for 28 seconds. I'm thinking it's power throttling me bad. What percentage of performance loss?

How much performance am I losing from my cpu with this when gaming? I have a geforce 4070 super in it.
This system also only has cl22 ram(only ram it will take) running at 3200. BIOS is completely LOCKED. Can't change anything.

I only care about gaming, some of games are cpu bottlenecked obviously.Just wondering if this cpu is not as powerful as normal 12400 due to power limit changes by hp

Reactions: jnjnilson6
Jun 2, 2024
maybe, some games can use ht, some not, not every game acts like old facry games
It makes a spiderman remasted much better. I'm playing at 4k High with hyperthreading.

Cpu is getting absolutely hammered. 97 percent usage. Temps above 80. I'm going to go into my omen hub and turn on max fans (it justs keeps fans on maximum non stop). That will lower temps by 10 degrees. My gpu is only at like 70 percent. I'm completely cpu bottlenecked. Horrible optimization on many games, but at least I can get a high refresh experience on this game. It's awesome now.

Do you think the 12700 would make a difference and increase performance a ton on my system when gaming? It's the only cpu upgrade I can do. Or is it not worth it?

Jun 2, 2024
Tom Clancy ghost recon wildlands is at 70 to 90 percent cpu load as well. With well optimized games like shadow of the tom raider it's like sub 25 percent . The hyperthreading improved ghost recon as well. Occasional stutter but much better.

Thermals are not that bad on hp. I don't agree with reddit. Everyone says don't buy a prebuilt and you need all these fans and cooling solutions. I never even get above lower 70 cpu with turbo fans selected on in omen hub. The 4070 s is founders edition and its usuallyin the mid 60s when under full load. Never has hit 70. 69 is the highest temp Ive seen with my fans on turbo mode. I upgraded that gpu myself. Case seems to be fine for thermals. Some games and temps are in the upper. 50s. The only negatives for hp so far is limited upgrades due to proprietary nature.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS