Is In-Flight Wi-Fi Now Threatened by Terrorists?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Nobody has the right to violence, not government people, not freelance terrorists, and not government sponsored terrorists. You have the right to travel as you like as long as you do not harm another person.

You don't have to cooperate with the system of violence called government.

Audiose

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
For those of you who were talking about an EM shield/Faraday cage as a potential solution:

Don't forget it could work BOTH ways - the device could also be programmed to detonate if it DOESN'T receive a response from some kind of internet connected source (i.e. airborne WiFi)

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
[citation][nom]mustbhacks[/nom]+1 for the Franklin Quote.And the only real terrorists are the US gov, scaring everyone into giving up their freedom.[/citation]

I whole heartedly agree with both counts. Ever since 9/11 the government has been using scare tactics (code orange...really?) to get whatever power they want. The Nazis did a similar thing back in the 1930s......

And as soon as things are going smooth for a while, they stir it up somehow as they cannot afford for the American people to realize that this is mostly unnecessary BS (referring to TSA and the general lack of rights we have now when flying)

jfby

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2010
[citation][nom]Ben Franklin[/nom]People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.[/citation]

Honestly? Do you have a problem with someone bringing a gun onboard? Or how about a 6 inch knife? Surely their liberty of choice are being impinged, too. Since when has our society truely been free? There are countless laws that exist that restrict and limit our freedoms on a daily basis for the supposed safety of ours and others lives.

Examples: you can't drink and drive, you can't drive without a seat belt, you can't go 150 MPH (on most roads), you must stop at stop-signs/red lights, and the list goes on. Do people complain about some/all of these? I'm sure they do, but many restrictions are put on society which limit liberty to ensure general welfare.

Personally, I was fine before wifi was available on planes and would be OK without. If it's between worrying about another way anyone could get hurt/killed and not being able to check Facebook or Tom's at 35,000, I would rather wait a couple hours.

Down-vote if needed, but I'm not always sure a quote from ~230 year ago is always applicable and should be reviewed before applying.

[citation]mustbhacks[nom][/nom]+1 for the Franklin Quote.

And the only real terrorists are the US gov, scaring everyone into giving up their freedom.[/citation]

Real terrorists really? This is not a political sight, but there are people out their with radically different views then others and they use TERROR (FEAR) to persuade people. The first goal of an enemy is for them to convince you they don't exist. Mission accomplished.

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
[citation][nom]bdonedge[/nom]I am so sick of the word "terrorist". Titles of articles like this are used to strike fear, which by definition, is what a terrorist does. The actions people think about when the media throws around the word terrorist, aren't labeled correctly. It should be radicals of "insert religion/group". Media = terrorists[/citation]

You know what? Radicals of Islam is actually a pretty awesome sounding potential band name...

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
Well, even if they block all terrestrial communication devices there are still satellite phones that security must contend with. I guess we'd better shut down all Iridium satellite phones. If a few people way out in the ocean or up on mountains that depend on these phones die, so be it. We'll at least have stopped the terrorists.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]jfby[/nom]Honestly? Do you have a problem with someone bringing a gun onboard? Or how about a 6 inch knife? Surely their liberty of choice are being impinged, too. Since when has our society truely been free? There are countless laws that exist that restrict and limit our freedoms on a daily basis for the supposed safety of ours and others lives.Examples: you can't drink and drive, you can't drive without a seat belt, you can't go 150 MPH (on most roads), you must stop at stop-signs/red lights, and the list goes on. Do people complain about some/all of these? I'm sure they do, but many restrictions are put on society which limit liberty to ensure general welfare.Personally, I was fine before wifi was available on planes and would be OK without. If it's between worrying about another way anyone could get hurt/killed and not being able to check Facebook or Tom's at 35,000, I would rather wait a couple hours.Down-vote if needed, but I'm not always sure a quote from ~230 year ago is always applicable and should be reviewed before applying.[citation]mustbhacks[nom][/nom]+1 for the Franklin Quote.And the only real terrorists are the US gov, scaring everyone into giving up their freedom.[/citation]Real terrorists really? This is not a political sight, but there are people out their with radically different views then others and they use TERROR (FEAR) to persuade people. The first goal of an enemy is for them to convince you they don't exist. Mission accomplished.[/citation]

I wouldn't mind bringing my USP45 onboard... Like in any other public transportation.

TheKurrgan

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
I wonder why this constant obsession with the air lines myself.. Hell there are FAR worse things you can do on the ground, where 3G wireless is readily available in most densely populated areas.. Whats next? faraday cage around the bay bridge and golden gate? the GW bridge ?
Silly government.. Its all for political lip service to make them look like they are proactively doing something.
Fail.

rbarone69

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
[citation][nom]dogman_1234[/nom]This is F*%$*ing bullshit. Everything that has to do with anything, people think of way to explain terrorist threats. Really, what? The cabin pressure system is gonna be used to blowup a plane? REALLY? I am getting sick of all this "Oh, we have to worry about Terrorists!" Get real people. We had to fear nuclear warfare...ALOT more catastrophic...and the Commies weren't idiots like these stupid F*%#@ed up radicals in the Middle East.[/citation]

You sir would make a horrible public official! :)

Really though... We need to make sure those guys dont get on planes with tweezers! Sometimes things are done to help the ignorant masses. If people "feel" they are safer (because they really have no clue) they will fly. Therefor the economy wont suffer. I know tweezers are no threat, and it seems that you know it... BUT, the general public as a mass doesnt... Over the top actions, no matter how flawed will make the general population "feel" safer.

So ya, point is, it DOES make a difference. Sometimes the govt has to use the public's ignorance as a tool. How right that is to do is up for debate :).

mustbhacks

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
[citation][nom]jfby[/nom]Real terrorists really? This is not a political sight, but there are people out their with radically different views then others and they use TERROR (FEAR) to persuade people. The first goal of an enemy is for them to convince you they don't exist. Mission accomplished.[/citation]

You're right mission accomplished, you actually seem to think the government is looking out for you, and some random extremist in alalala land is trying to kill you.

P.s. Wonder how hard it would be to have the Patriot Act repealed.

Gin Fushicho

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009
You know airport, all this would be a lot easier if you forced everyone to go in without any bags, totally naked, and go wherever they want to go with just a credit card, and airport approved clothes.

Jeez.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
I don't care about Wifi on a plane. I have no desire to surf or update some stupid facebook account while in flight. Take the money spent on wifi and make my seat wider and with more leg room. I can take my own stored movies and music if I need to drown out the screaming kid in row 3.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]warezme[/nom]I don't care about Wifi on a plane. I have no desire to surf or update some stupid facebook account while in flight. Take the money spent on wifi and make my seat wider and with more leg room. I can take my own stored movies and music if I need to drown out the screaming kid in row 3.[/citation]What about snakes on a plane? Wouldn't that be more entertaining, and without the added infrastructure?

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]Gin Fushicho[/nom]You know airport, all this would be a lot easier if you forced everyone to go in without any bags, totally naked, and go wherever they want to go with just a credit card, and airport approved clothes.Jeez.[/citation]

Its coming.

f-14

Distinguished
"The bombs were hooked up to cell phones, but they did not contain SIM cards, making them useless for making or receiving calls. This nearly rules out that the phones would use cell technology to activate the explosives."

so what you suggesting is that the terrorist was onboard and was going to remotely detonate using bluetooth wifi?
interesting

cammmy

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
[citation][nom]bustapr[/nom]Anyone who cant sleep through a ten hour flight, and with an annoying person sitting next to you.[/citation]

MP3 player and a book?

G

@Audiose
except then it would just blow up on the runway, of course you could put a time delay on it but then, well why dont you just use a timer in the first place...... the more complicated it is the more bits needed the greater the chance of being detected

@jimbo2779
actually there was bomb material present, the reason they were missed the first time was because the bomb maker had designed them to pass a standard x-ray check, it required detailed instruction on how to locate the bomb material before they were discovered, this sadly tells us the bomb makers have a pretty good idea of the standard operating procedure and training a standard screener undertakes, if you know what your enemy is looking for then you know how to best hide it

wildwell

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
[citation][nom]Crashman[/nom]Relying on the onboard WiFi would be a far more complicated and less reliable trigger method. The only reason someone would go to those extra lengths is to prove they could. I don't see terrorist giving up a "sure kill" in an effort to prove their technical proficiency[/citation]

You're right, but terrorists aren't just about blowing stuff up and killing everyone. They can accomplish a lot by just suggesting a threat. If they can pass a threat through the intelligence community that suggests a possible way they might blow something up.... you get the idea. Major government resources get spent, the private sector has to slow down to deal with delays, and they otherwise disrupt the lifestyle, business, and economy of the Western World.

Status
Not open for further replies.