[SOLVED] Is it a worth to upgrade from r5 3600 to r5 5600x

coolraveen

Commendable
May 26, 2020
I use r5 3600 for like 3 months, is it worth to upgrade to 5600x?
Thanks bro i was about to ask the same question in toms, i too own a vanilla 3600, till now its giving decent fps in all the games in played like odyssey, warzone, FC 5. so i think we can wait and buy an 5800X in 2 years time for low price like Invalid said.

No matter how hard I try to be rational, I must admit there's always an itch to upgrade -and I'm quite sure the same is true for for many of you.
Yes, we say "my CPU covers my needs fully ... is only 20% performance difference..". But then, we know 20% can be a lot and actually is! And so, our decision depends entirely on what kind of work we do on PC, and if there's enough in wallet. At the end, faster is always better.

@coolraveen
Yes, 3600 seems to be "good enough" in most cases:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrzqoeQVg4k

@kurdtnz
Many hoped for that, but it really shouldn't have been expected to happen.

5000 series CPU's are quite expensive and as 3000 series CPU's are still considered as good performers (at existing price), why lowering the price?
If at all, 3000 series prices will go down when 5000 series prices also go down. If not sooner, that might happen when AMD introduces 5000 non-X CPUs in few months (according to rumors).

Reactions: kurdtnz
Bro i even heard that an Ryzen 5 3600 is able to keep up with the RTX 3080, without much noted bottleneck, is that true?
When benchmarked the way people actually game, yes that's true. The thing is, reviewers benchmark CPU's at abnormally low resolution with mismatched (in terms of market segment) GPU's like 3080 to exaggerate CPU differences.

People usually game at the highest resolution the GPU is capable of...that means 1440p and, increasingly, 4K. That makes a 3080 or 6800XT the bottleneck even for a 3600. People only game at 1080p if their GPU isn't capable of anything higher which, in turn, makes the CPU less a factor in the same way.

Last edited:
Reactions: coolraveen

InvalidError

Titan
Yes, we say "my CPU covers my needs fully ... is only 20% performance difference..". But then, we know 20% can be a lot and actually is!
20% more performance won't significantly change the way I do anything, I need something closer to 200% to feel like the boat anchors fell off. I'm still using an i5-3470, still not really feeling upgrade-itchy when I look at how little performance per dollar has increased since compared to how fast it was improving before then.

Reactions: Sithlord1138

gtarayan

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
I doubt prices will fall much, if any, on the 3000 series cpus. I bought a 3600 back in April for $159. If anything, this price has not been seen since. Price-wise, 5000 price structure starts at $299. It is entirely reasonable to pay $200 today as you are paying 33% less than 5600x for only a 20% drop in performance. With 5800x AMD's price is completely out to lunch. I understand they want to charge premium for that perfectly binned silicon that goes into 5800x, but that leaves plenty of room for 3000 cpus to make financial sense at the existent prices.

20% more performance won't significantly change the way I do anything, I need something closer to 200% to feel like the boat anchors fell off. I'm still using an i5-3470, still not really feeling upgrade-itchy when I look at how little performance per dollar has increased since compared to how fast it was improving before then.

And i thought i was a holdout on my 3770k @4.4GHz

Not worried about stuttering in games? We both know you can get a 200% uplift. But you'll pay for it.

It depends on what you do with your computer - if I was only playing much older games and watching movies on top of desktop work, my Athlon X4 620 would still be perfectly capable with some overclock, extra RAM and a sata SSD. Actually I still use it for just that.
But, games got much better when I switched to a i5 4670k@4.2 GHz, even with the lowly Radeon R7 270 I had at the time.
I could have kept it longer - I mean, as a main rig instead of as a folding machine. But the Ryzen 2700X was tempting for video compression and multiple VM running when I develop.
In short, to each his own.

Ero-Fo

Reputable
Dec 14, 2019
I use r5 3600 for like 3 months, is it worth to upgrade to 5600x?
Im in the same boat.. but if what im seeing on youtube is right the answer is complicated but depending on what games you play..

For me i play warzone allot these days.. and rtx 3070 or 3080 reviews with a r3600 only give about 5 more fps than i have.. roughly the same as a rog strix gtx 1660ti but a ryzen 5 5600x and a gtx 1660 ti gives a 30 fps bump.... making it a somwhat stable 144fps gaming rig for warzone :)

InvalidError

Titan
And i thought i was a holdout on my 3770k @4.4GHz

Not worried about stuttering in games? We both know you can get a 200% uplift. But you'll pay for it.
I'm not noticing stutter all that much. Most major stutter I have seen in the past is due to games needing to load stuff from HDD and not having enough RAM to cache all of that data for fast access. Not a problem with 32GB RAM. The only game I particularly care about is WoW and that still runs at ~70fps when I turn fps limit off and lower graphics a little bit, not a problem. For more CPU-intensive games, taking fps from 45-50 to 60 is not worth a ~$800 upgrade to me.

Reactions: digitalgriffin
I'm not noticing stutter all that much. Most major stutter I have seen in the past is due to games needing to load stuff from HDD and not having enough RAM to cache all of that data for fast access. Not a problem with 32GB RAM. The only game I particularly care about is WoW and that still runs at ~70fps when I turn fps limit off and lower graphics a little bit, not a problem. For more CPU-intensive games, taking fps from 45-50 to 60 is not worth a ~$800 upgrade to me.

I should play with you sometime Invalid on WoW. I have a level 66 Paladin. I also have a level 52 Blood Elf Tank

The reduction in stuttering was the result of improved branch prediction with Haswell and later on. Less rollback of the pipeline.