Question Is it bad to unplug your device with the charger still on?

Avik Basu

Distinguished
May 31, 2014
Many years ago I read somewhere that unplugging your phone without turning the charger off is bad so I have always turned the switch off before unplugging anything. Now I'm looking to buy a power extension board and one of the things it'll power will be my charger. Except most boards don't come with individual switches for each socket. Many boards even come with USB ports for phone charging but those too don't have individual switches. Just one switch to power the whole board. So I'm wondering, in 2024, is it still bad to unplug your (modern, couple of years old) phone with the charger still on?

Solution
Can´t remember that it could be bad unplugging the device while on, but plugging it in while on can have side effects like sparkling or if a bad designed charger is used, too much voltage while plugging it in could be send to the device, which can damage the device over time. But usually not bad at all, if quality parts are used
Can´t remember that it could be bad unplugging the device while on, but plugging it in while on can have side effects like sparkling or if a bad designed charger is used, too much voltage while plugging it in could be send to the device, which can damage the device over time. But usually not bad at all, if quality parts are used

Reactions: Avik Basu
Solution

Avik Basu

Distinguished
May 31, 2014
Is there any way to know if the charger is releasing too much voltage?