DRickraft

Reputable
Dec 15, 2019
So basically I opened Firefox and the Google logo and the webpage glitched... After 2 minutes the whole computer did the same until a BSOD with TDR Video Failure (or something) appeared on the screen (fully glitched).

It does boot to Windows but the PC freezes when trying to turn it off or rebooting it.

Uninstalling the video drivers worked only once with the resolution coming back to native without any glitch, but now I'm stuck with this 800x600.

Opening any 3D application results in a crash (glitched black screen).

Device Manager shows something like "disabled due to issues" or something.

Any chance to fix it? I only play CS Source with it, thanks.

20220420-191800.jpg
20220420-191818.jpg
20220420-191941.jpg

The Big Circle and those things at the bottom are screen related issues probably :)

Solution
Yeah, it's surely not a driver issue, it's full of glitches even in Safe Mod and BIOS.

Does replacing the GPU fix it at 100%?
Yes if that's the only component failing replacing it should fix the issue. Not sure if you can find brand new reliable graphics card for that setup though.

I know you might have to make do with what you have now, but I personally wouldn't spend to get a graphics card for this system.

DRickraft

Reputable
Dec 15, 2019
You didn't list ssytem specs but in that screen I see Intel Core 2 Duo.

If the rest of the system is as old including PSU and the graphics card the card is probably failing.

Yeah sorry, not sure about the MB (It has an old ROG logo), but the GPU is a 8800 GT (1GB)... So there's no way to fix it, right?

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Yeah sorry, not sure about the MB (It has an old ROG logo), but the GPU is a 8800 GT (1GB)... So there's no way to fix it, right?
TDR Video Failure errors and related BSODs are somtimes caused by corrupt siplay drivers. But in this case, considering the age of the components, I think hardware failure is more likely.

Boot in safe mode and if you see issue persist probably not a driver issue and more likely hardware issue.

You can wait and see if anyone has any other suggestion.

DRickraft

Reputable
Dec 15, 2019
TDR Video Failure errors and related BSODs are somtimes caused by corrupt siplay drivers. But in this case, considering the age of the components, I think hardware failure is more likely.

Boot in safe mode and if you see issue persist probably not a driver issue and more likely hardware issue.

You can wait and see if anyone has any other suggestion.

Yeah, it's surely not a driver issue, it's full of glitches even in Safe Mod and BIOS.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador

Yes if that's the only component failing replacing it should fix the issue. Not sure if you can find brand new reliable graphics card for that setup though.

I know you might have to make do with what you have now, but I personally wouldn't spend to get a graphics card for this system.

Reactions: DRickraft
Solution

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
GT 740 GDDR5 is a reasonable replacement. Been a long while since I had an 8800 card.

Radeon R7 250 or thereabouts as an alternative.

You could risk getting a GT1030, but it might not play well with the older BIOS. Anything newer is also going to be in a similar situation.

Reactions: DRickraft

DRickraft

Reputable
Dec 15, 2019
GT 740 GDDR5 is a reasonable replacement. Been a long while since I had an 8800 card.

Radeon R7 250 or thereabouts as an alternative.

You could risk getting a GT1030, but it might not play well with the older BIOS. Anything newer is also going to be in a similar situation.

Thank you so much, but these prices are a bit too high for a 12 y old PC I guess :D

I Just want it to boot so I can use Ms Word for work.

DRickraft

Reputable
Dec 15, 2019

Perfect, thank you so much. Just one more thing, did it break randomly or something like the PSU could have been the cause?