[SOLVED] Is it good often to suspend computer?

Feb 28, 2020
Hello.

I don't know if this question should be here, if don't, please move it to the appropiate group you consider and sorry for giving you extra work.

I would like to ask if it's a good practice to often suspend computer having several hard drives and ssd (I don't know if suspend will affect them in some way, at least the mechanical because of hard disk arm will stay frozen in a not default position maybe? I'm not sure about this).

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Solution
@kanewolf Thanks for your answer. Sorry for not mentioning, yes, I'm using windows 10 pro and I always suspend it but I guess if any linux with suspend feature will behaviour in same way. Is there any chance that suspending could break hard drives? (because I guess SSD won't write and won't be affected by suspension).

According to the link you posted "Sleep mode is useful if you want to stop working for a short period of time " so I think then won't be a good idea have computer sleep, I could leave it on then.

Thanks for your help!!
I have stable power and a UPS. I let my PC sleep every day. I have been doing it for years. If your power isn't stable, then sleep is probably best for short term usage.

kanewolf

Titan
Hello.

I don't know if this question should be here, if don't, please move it to the appropiate group you consider and sorry for giving you extra work.

I would like to ask if it's a good practice to often suspend computer having several hard drives and ssd (I don't know if suspend will affect them in some way, at least the mechanical because of hard disk arm will stay frozen in a not default position maybe? I'm not sure about this).

Thanks for any advice you can give me.
Since you posted this in Windows, I will assume that is the OS you are talking about. First here are a few definitions -- https://www.howtogeek.com/102897/whats-the-difference-between-sleep-and-hibernate-in-windows/

So Sleep leaves things in memory. Hibernate writes to disk.

I leave my PC on 24/7 and let it sleep after 30 min of non-use. I also have a quality UPS to keep the power clean.

Reactions: wpgwpg
Feb 28, 2020
@kanewolf Thanks for your answer. Sorry for not mentioning, yes, I'm using windows 10 pro and I always suspend it but I guess if any linux with suspend feature will behaviour in same way. Is there any chance that suspending could break hard drives? (because I guess SSD won't write and won't be affected by suspension).

According to the link you posted "Sleep mode is useful if you want to stop working for a short period of time " so I think then won't be a good idea have computer sleep, I could leave it on then.

Thanks for your help!!

kanewolf

Titan

Thanks for your help!!
I have stable power and a UPS. I let my PC sleep every day. I have been doing it for years. If your power isn't stable, then sleep is probably best for short term usage.

Solution
Feb 28, 2020

Thanks @kanewolf, then I will keep doing it and I will try to buy a hdd where backup system images and data and switch off that hard drive. " then sleep is probably best for short term usage." yes, I don't use it much at this moment, with this heat it's impossible to study but thanks for let me know that short term usage is safe to sleep computer.

Regards and thanks a lot for your answers and help!!