Question Is It Legal To Refurbish Computers With Windows 10 On Them?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

System32_76

Commendable
Jul 29, 2019
So I heard that someone named Eric Lundgren, who had a business recycling computers, served a year in prison for selling Windows restore discs provided by different computer manufacturers.

What I've been doing to refurbish computers is take a flash drive with Windows 10 on it, plug it in to a PC, and install it. I would repeat the same process with other computers.
Should I not be doing this? Is what I mentioned doing here illegal?

USAFRet

Titan
Let me rephrase that; if I were to take the Windows 10 installation media I created with my flash drive, plug it in to one PC individually at a time, install Windows 10 to each one, and buy a license for each Windows installation on each PC, I'm copying the software, right?
NO.
Well, yes, but that functionality is obviously allowed. Otherwise, how would you actually install it?

System32_76

Commendable
Jul 29, 2019
Maybe asking us is not the greatest idea. For something like this I would ask someone who knows about that legal stuff. Just to be sure you don't get problems later.

I started this whole thread because of this article about the guy I mentioned when I first started the thread,
Eric Lundgren:

He got arrested for duplicating Windows restore discs in order to refurbish many computers.
I didn't expect to get tied into all of this legal stuff.

I started this whole thread because of this article about the guy I mentioned when I first started the thread,
Eric Lundgren:

He got arrested for duplicating Windows restore discs in order to refurbish many computers.

Why don't you call Microsoft directly and ask to talk to someone legal there? If it's legal to sell computer the way you want to do it they will tell you. Record the conversation if you can. I think it's your best thing you could do or call a lawyer that specialize in this.

I don't want you to be sued in a year :(

USAFRet

Titan
Eric Lundgren:

That guy was a whole different issue. Where did he obtain these restore disks, and were they marked "Not For Resale" (probably)

Yours is no less intriguing.
Personally, I don't see an issue with your situation. Then again, I'm not a lawyer nor am I Microsoft. And no one else in this thread is either.

System32_76

Commendable
Jul 29, 2019
Why don't you call Microsoft directly and ask to talk to someone legal there? If it's legal to sell computer the way you want to do it they will tell you. Record the conversation if you can. I think it's your best thing you could do or call a lawyer that specialize in this.

I don't want you to be sued in a year :(

Thank you for caring. :) I'll try to contact them and sort this whole thing out.