[SOLVED] Is it normal for a pc to not boot correctly after a power outage?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

llxy

Prominent
Feb 3, 2021
I believe there was a power outage. When I first turned on my pc this morning, there was no display output. Peripherals were functioning, although no fan ramp-ups or anything. Also, it turned off with the touch of the button, not holding it.

Since I have a history of drives just failing on me, could this be the start? The old drives that failed were HDDs, whereas now that I am on my NVMe SSD, it's been pretty much flawless.

After the slight touch which turned it off, after turning it back on, it immediately booted. Should I be careful about it acting like this?

Solution
shutdown with fast startup on puts the pc into a hybrid hibernate state. On startup ifs actually waking up.
restart actually turns PC off for the brief time it is restarting

so i could still be right?

It clearly works most of the time since it has only happened a few times.
the problems appear to mostly be hardware related, not windows itself. So could be drivers.

I don't know what drivers without knowing what you have
Can you download and run Driverview - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html

All it does is looks at drivers installed; it won't install any (this is intentional as 3rd party driver updaters often get it wrong)

When you run it, go into view tab and set it to hide all Microsoft...

Colif

Win 11 Master
shutdown with fast startup on puts the pc into a hybrid hibernate state. On startup ifs actually waking up.

the problems appear to mostly be hardware related, not windows itself. So could be drivers.

Can you download and run Driverview - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html

All it does is looks at drivers installed; it won't install any (this is intentional as 3rd party driver updaters often get it wrong)

When you run it, go into view tab and set it to hide all Microsoft drivers, will make list shorter.

Now its up to you, you can look through the drivers and try to find old drivers, or you can take a screenshot from (and including)Driver name to (and including)Creation date.

upload it to an image sharing website and show link here

All I would do is look at driver versions (or dates if you lucky to have any) to see what might have newer versions.

Solution

llxy

Prominent
Feb 3, 2021

When you run it, go into view tab and set it to hide all Microsoft drivers, will make list shorter.

Now its up to you, you can look through the drivers and try to find old drivers, or you can take a screenshot from (and including)Driver name to (and including)Creation date.

upload it to an image sharing website and show link here

All I would do is look at driver versions (or dates if you lucky to have any) to see what might have newer versions.
Okay, I understand. I will do this when I have a bit more free time on my hands. Thank you!

Colif

Win 11 Master
Hibernation is considered an S4 power state. While hibernating, your PC will seem like it's completely off, but there will be a saved hibernation file ready to be used to boot back to where you were during your last user session. Some power is usually still routed to peripherals so that you can, say, tap your keyboard and have the PC boot.

An S5 power state (soft off) is when your PC is shut down and rebooted completely. There's no hibernation file and no saved user session. There is also a G3 power state, which is when your PC consumes absolutely no power and is completely turned off.

With fast startup enabled, choosing to shut down your PC might look like you're completely shutting things down, but in reality, your PC is entering a mix between a shutdown and hibernation. A hibernation file is indeed used, although it is smaller than usual. Why? You're logged off before the file is created, meaning your session is not recorded. The speed boost comes from the Windows kernel being saved on your hard drive and loaded when booting.
link

To prepare for a fast startup, Windows performs a hybrid shutdown sequence that combines elements of a full shutdown sequence and a prepare-for-hibernation sequence. First, as in a full shutdown, Windows closes all applications and logs off all user sessions. At this stage, the system state is similar to that of a computer that has just started up—no applications are running, but the Windows kernel is loaded and the system session is running. Next, the power manager sends system power IRPs to device drivers to tell them to prepare their devices to enter hibernation. Finally, Windows saves the kernel memory image (including the loaded kernel-mode drivers) in Hiberfil.sys and shuts down the computer.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...shing-fast-startup-from-wake-from-hibernation

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 14196

Yes and for anyone using hibernation or fast start go and take a look at your event viewer and look at all the errors that say windows wasn’t shut down properly. More garbage that needs to be disabled

llxy

Prominent
Feb 3, 2021
Yes and for anyone using hibernation or fast start go and take a look at your event viewer and look at all the errors that say windows wasn’t shut down properly. More garbage that needs to be disabled
Post / boot issue happened again. It showed VGA on the EZ-DEBUG, (b365m pro-vdh), indicating a.. GPU error? Also, do you think disabling fast startup would help it? I don't see any "failed to boot" events in event viewer, where should I look? Also, if it helps, the runtime was reset on the CPU in the task manager. I think it's because I have to turn it on twice when the issue happens. (on, no post, then off, then back on, works)