[SOLVED] Is it "normal" if a computer crashes with a old BIOS?

Nov 14, 2019
Hello,

I built my first PC back late last year and everything was going okay. I encountered some crashing about a month or so after I finished building it. The crashes would happen at random times even idle so this gave me confidence it was a possible software issue. But I didn't want to do rule out hardware altogether (as most of my parts I got second hand) so tested them as well as some software troubleshooting.

I narrowed it down to a simple BIOS update and then the computer ran fine. I had another crash the other day and checked if there was a recent BIOS update for my mobo - and allas there had been a recent BIOS update. Since it's only been 2 days it's hard to judge if it's sorted but I'm fairly confident all my crashes are just to do with the BIOS.

My question to this community is as I'm not very "technically experienced" is this type of thing normal? - when a mobo isn't up to date is it a common thing for a computer just to crash until the bio is up to date?

FYI - by crash I mean the PC would literally freeze - frozen mouse too - and it would blare out a horrible sound like it was stuck. The only way to stop it would be a hard shut down from the power button on the computer.

Thank you in advance for your help and advice.

Specs:
MOTHERBOARD: Asus ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming Motherboard
CPU: I7 9700K COOLER: Thermaltake CL-p021
GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Gaming TRIO 8GB
PSU: 750 GQ 80+
STORAGE: 1TB SSD Crucial mx500
CASE: NZXT H500
RAM: Corsair 16GB (2x8gb) X2

Solution
There could have been Bios compatibility fixes of course but it's difficult to say what was causing the freezes. Freezes of that nature is usually because of ram. There can be other reasons too like cpu bent pins, high temperatures, ssd/hdd failing, driver/os corruption, gpu or motherboard issues.

Sounds like a lot can go wrong but wouldn't stress, if it freezes again, focus on your ram first and test with memtest.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
There could have been Bios compatibility fixes of course but it's difficult to say what was causing the freezes. Freezes of that nature is usually because of ram. There can be other reasons too like cpu bent pins, high temperatures, ssd/hdd failing, driver/os corruption, gpu or motherboard issues.

Sounds like a lot can go wrong but wouldn't stress, if it freezes again, focus on your ram first and test with memtest.

Reactions: xojio
Solution
Nov 14, 2019

Thank you for your message i shall keep this in mind for next time :) !!