is it normal

umala

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2003
I got a Athlon64 3000+ for quite a good price (60% of new one). But in the system with 512 MB RAM. this CPU seems quite slow, I mean that the CPU usage is quite high( I never play game or application that takes all CPU power).Playing of an Divx file take about 25% of CPU.Is it normal due to the fact that the AMD speed is not high and decoding barely takes calculation.Or because Edonkey that always run sucks much of RAM

tweebel

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004
Filesharing programs such as eDonkey, Limewire, Bittorrent and Kazaa sometimes use a lot of resources because there might be many open connections. Decoding a Divx file at 25% isn't really strange, especially if you don't use new videocard which helps decoding. Nothing wrong I think, you can see which program uses most of your CPU time.

umala

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2003
When there is edonkey alone, the CPU usage is quite minimal (less than 10%). I do not think edonkey is the explaination. But I think that maybe with video card as you pointed out. In fact, I use integrated one. But that is still a surprise for me.

G

Well if it's integrated, that could very well be the problem

<font color=green> Woohoo!! I am officially a <b> Member </b>!! </font color=green>