Question Is it ok to use my PC without an exhaust fan?

Oct 3, 2020
Hey, so over the past few weeks my exhaust fan has been playing up (on the back of the case) not starting properly, making loud whirring noises etc and today seems to be the day that it's truly died.

I have 2 front case fans that are still in tip top working order and blasting out air, so my question really is is it ok to use the PC for a while without the exhaust fan? It's a pretty big rig with lots of space inside.

i even bought some new case fans but for whatever reason the side panel where all the wires are won't come off, not sure if it's connected to the motherboard or something as it just feels tight even when unscrewed, and if it is connected to something like that then thats way over my head. i intend to take it in to a shop ASAP but for short term would my PC be ok?

i've got HWmonitor and msi afterburner etc to monitor the temps and make sure they're not going too hot.. my gpu usually caps at like 80c when under a lot of strain.

thanks

Oct 3, 2020
If all the component temps remain within range, indefinitely.

thanks that's comforting to hear.. i'm a complete newbie when it comes to the in and outs and workings of PC's. and have only recently begun monitoring temps and stress etc.

thanks a bunch.

If you're still worried, you could also try reducing what you're using it for if it's just a couple days :)

that's what i think i'll do, might try boot up a few games but will keep on monitoring the temps to make sure they don't go above what they were when the fan was working

thanks :) theoretically what would be the time when you'd be looking at causing damage? over the course of a few months?
Not to worry.

You are being a bit paranoid about the lack of an exhaust fan.
Whatever fresh air that comes in the front has to exit somewhere, taking component heat with it.
If the exhaust can't spin, take it out and you should feel warm air coming out the back.

Parts are quite tolerant of heat .
If a cpu detects a dangerous temperature, it will slow down or shut off to protect itself.

Graphics cards are built to run at 80c.

Oct 3, 2020
Not to worry.

You are being a bit paranoid about the lack of an exhaust fan.
Whatever fresh air that comes in the front has to exit somewhere, taking component heat with it.
If the exhaust can't spin, take it out and you should feel warm air coming out the back.

Parts are quite tolerant of heat .
If a cpu detects a dangerous temperature, it will slow down or shut off to protect itself.

Graphics cards are built to run at 80c.

i'd love to be able to take it out, i've even got replacement fans that i could use, but as i said in original post, i can't take the side of the PC off where all the wires are stored for whatever reason, it just feels stuck. it's on the side where the motherboard is and all the wires are put back there but even when it's unscrewed it won't come off, feels like it's stuck on something or connected to something.

so unfortunately i can't take the exhaust fan out as the wire is back there and i can't get back there to unplug it :( but thanks for your comforting words, i was panicking over little it seems.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
It depends on the combination of all your components.
For some people - like myself - intake only may yield the best thermals, or even exhaust only...
But you won't know unless you test it yourself.
Take that, for example. I found that adding more didn't help in that particular setup.
Exhausts in the top and rear? That was slightly worse overall, LOL.

Oct 3, 2020
I missed that part about not being able to remove the case cover.
What is the make/model of the case?
On some cases, you need to slide the side panel back to remove it.

i'm unsure on what the make / model is, i'm able to take the side with the glass panel off no problems, it slides off like you say, but the other side where the wires are stored just won't budge at all, and obviously i don't want to rip it off if it's connected to something sensitive.

TRENDING THREADS