Question Is it ok to use the hardrive from a older pc to a new one?

Feb 15, 2019
Hi guys i just build a new pc and read online that if i use my old hard drive it will ask me to install windows on my new one and delete all my files on it. However when i started my new pc it just opened windows as if nothing change and i was in my desktop with all the things i had on it. I was just wondering if that could cause something bad it is ok to let it like that? I was thinking that my old and new motherboard are from asus so thats why it didnt think i change my rig.

supermanu15

Distinguished
I usually notice that any operating systems after windows 8 or windows 8.1, if I transferred my hdd from system a to system b, it will just use generic drivers which allows the OS to boot as normal then when you login it will usually ask for an update and those updates also contain the drivers specific to the hardware where it is currently residing in. I don't personally see an issue here, just make sure you install the right drivers specific to your new system and clean out the old ones you had previously from your old setup. This behaviour I only noticed on windows 8 and later operating systems, linux operating sytems too. I tried transferring an ssd/hdd that had windows 7 on it from another system to a new one and it wouldn't allow me to proceed to windows, ran into driver issues.

Reactions: popatim and Bkr418
Feb 15, 2019
I usually notice that any operating systems after windows 8 or windows 8.1, if I transferred my hdd from system a to system b, it will just use generic drivers which allows the OS to boot as normal then when you login it will usually ask for an update and those updates also contain the drivers specific to the hardware where it is currently residing in. I don't personally see an issue here, just make sure you install the right drivers specific to your new system and clean out the old ones you had previously from your old setup. This behaviour I only noticed on windows 8 and later operating systems, linux operating sytems too. I tried transferring an ssd/hdd that had windows 7 on it from another system to a new one and it wouldn't allow me to proceed to windows, ran into driver issues.
Cool thanks :)