[SOLVED] Is it okay to have a sticker under a xeon cpu?

Oct 27, 2021
I bought a Xeon X3440 CPU online and when it arrived it had a sticker underneath. I was just gonna ask if it can still work like that and if I need to remove it, what is the best possible way in doing so?

Last edited:
Solution
Haha no. Those stickers on the old 771's weren't stickers as such, but sticky sided metal tape that joined power/ground connections because of the differences in socket pinouts. Doing so just adapted the pins to use on a 775 mobo. Common practice.

That sticker of op's needs to go. It's not a warranty sticker but QC done by someone not at the factory. There should be nothing on top of those smd's.

I'd use 90% or better isopropyl if it can be found and a needle to carefully lift the sticker, not a cotton swab that could potentially snag. And much patience.

LeviTech

Commendable
Sep 27, 2021
Probably is something like this. I've seen on some youtube videos this kind of stickers in CH cpu's.
This is some kind of warranty.

2015-12-09-19-32-03-1-jpg.604613
retz6r3rlou51.jpg

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Haha no. Those stickers on the old 771's weren't stickers as such, but sticky sided metal tape that joined power/ground connections because of the differences in socket pinouts. Doing so just adapted the pins to use on a 775 mobo. Common practice.

That sticker of op's needs to go. It's not a warranty sticker but QC done by someone not at the factory. There should be nothing on top of those smd's.

I'd use 90% or better isopropyl if it can be found and a needle to carefully lift the sticker, not a cotton swab that could potentially snag. And much patience.

Reactions: TriggerHappily
Solution
Oct 27, 2021

OK thanks I'll try it!

Oct 27, 2021

Can I use 70% isopropyl alcohol?

TRENDING THREADS