Question Is it okay to have gpu fans at 100%?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Sep 13, 2018
I have Gigabyte 1660 Ti. This model: https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N166TWF2OC-6GD#kf
And I also have everything set in msi afterburner like this: View: https://imgur.com/a/Sp9sWwu

Also, my case is this: http://www.deepcool.com/product/case/2014-09/9_989.shtml
And this is how it looks inside of my case: View: https://imgur.com/gallery/jUT97WN

I have 1 intake and 1 exhaust fan that are these: https://www.arctic.ac/eu_en/f12-pwm-pst.html
When I'm playing pubg or any other gpu heavy load game it reaches 68-75+ celsius and when it hits fan speed of 100% it sounds like this:
Can it be that my gpu reaches 75 celsius, because the outside temperature is over 31 degree celsius and in my room it's about 28+ celsius?
View: https://soundcloud.com/arnas-liegus/fan_speed_of_100/s-cb111

Sep 13, 2018
So it is the card boosting itself to levels it can't maintain... You may have to leave it "stock" and then little by little see how much OC it can take.

Cheers!
Weird question. Is it bad that it's doing it? Or I'm just being paranoid? Also, do I need to have motherboard that support overcloacking? Because some said that I can't overclock my cpu just because my motherboard doesn't support it.

Weird question. Is it bad that it's doing it?
Not ideal, but hardly surprising. Your card is not advertised as a "OC monster" (sort of speaking) and only comes with a mild factory OC. If you try to push the card to the limit, you must not be surprised it's not playing ball.

Or I'm just being paranoid?
A bit.

Also, do I need to have motherboard that support overcloacking? Because some said that I can't overclock my cpu just because my motherboard doesn't support it.
No. For the most part, the Motherboard has zero influence on the GPU OC. What matters for GPU OC'ing are PSU and the cooling solution you have for the GPU. Motherboard just needs to ensure the PCIe power delivery is fine and connectivity within spec (PCIe clocks).

EDIT: I overlooked the "CPU" part, sorry. Yes, the motherboard must support OC to a degree. More importantly, much like the GPU, they need a proper PSU to deliver power and the motherboard must have good power delivery (typically represented by the VRMs and their phases). Then you have the cooling for the CPU itself.

Cheers!

Sep 13, 2018
Not ideal, but hardly surprising. Your card is not advertised as a "OC monster" (sort of speaking) and only comes with a mild factory OC. If you try to push the card to the limit, you must not be surprised it's not playing ball.

A bit.

No. For the most part, the Motherboard has zero influence on the GPU OC. What matters for GPU OC'ing are PSU and the cooling solution you have for the GPU. Motherboard just needs to ensure the PCIe power delivery is fine and connectivity within spec (PCIe clocks).

EDIT: I overlooked the "CPU" part, sorry. Yes, the motherboard must support OC to a degree. More importantly, much like the GPU, they need a proper PSU to deliver power and the motherboard must have good power delivery (typically represented by the VRMs and their phases). Then you have the cooling for the CPU itself.

Cheers!
I have an old msi motherboard, so just in case it would be nice to know if I can actually do anything with it. Here's the link: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/H81M-P33/Specification

Oh, H-series motherboards from Intel won't allow you to OC much, if at all. You can still play a bit with the BLCK (BUS clocks for the RING and CPU-NB links to RAM, IIRC) clocks to get some extra hertz, but not more than that. Not really worth the hassle IMO.

Cheers!

Sep 13, 2018
Oh, H-series motherboards from Intel won't allow you to OC much, if at all. You can still play a bit with the BLCK (BUS clocks for the RING and CPU-NB links to RAM, IIRC) clocks to get some extra hertz, but not more than that. Not really worth the hassle IMO.

Cheers!
So, in conclusion, I should underclock the gpu so it works more, but it doesn't overheat? I really have no idea.

Sep 13, 2018
Yep, pretty much.

You can still try to apply mild OC, but you will have to go little by little until it doesn't crash at all playing games. Leaving it at stock should be the best you can do.

Cheers!
So, this is gpu or airflow problem? If it's airflow, could you recommend what other motherboard and case should I get? Motherboard would be the best with more fan spots and should be compatible with my current components, so I don't have to start from scratch:
CPU: i7-4790k LGA 1150
GPU: Gigabyte 1660 Ti gddr6
PSU: Corsair 550v
RAM: 16gb 1600mhz ddr3
Also, it would be nice if the case had 120mmx120mm fan spots, so I could use my current ones and buy a few more.
Thanks in advance.

80c is max temp for most cards bios.
80c @100% fan speed means your card is bad or you have case air flow problem.

one of the 2 is your problem.
Did you try running it with the side panel of the case removed?
That is the only way to determine if it is the card or case air flow problem.

Run it with the side panel off.
It may still reach 80c but you need to check fan speed.
If fan speed is 60-70% @80c with the side panel off, then case air flow is your problem.
If it still reaches 100% fan speed then the card has a problem with the cooler or thermal paste application.
We do not know which it is until you run it with the side panel off and let us know the results.

Your motherboard is fine.
No need to change it.
As stated earlier. ALMOST ALL case fans are controlled by the motherboard.
Most motherboards have bios options or software to control fan speeds.
Most are based on CPU temperature not GPU temperature.

If your card is OK after the side panel off test, go into the Bios/software and increase case fan speeds. How you set it depends on Bios or software.

So, this is gpu or airflow problem? If it's airflow, could you recommend what other motherboard and case should I get? Motherboard would be the best with more fan spots and should be compatible with my current components, so I don't have to start from scratch:
CPU: i7-4790k LGA 1150
GPU: Gigabyte 1660 Ti gddr6
PSU: Corsair 550v
RAM: 16gb 1600mhz ddr3
Also, it would be nice if the case had 120mmx120mm fan spots, so I could use my current ones and buy a few more.
Thanks in advance.
I don't see a problem here, as you just need to make the card work at the normal clocks for it to perform well and not crash your games. There's zero guarantee that if you improve your airflow and make everything cooler, the card won't crash due to the silicon itself not being able to take the extra megahertz of speed.

Your computer is no slouch and it should be good for some time still. What I would advice is that you swap your H-series motherboard for a Z-series motherboard. If you can find one, that is. Overlocking your CPU would allow you to get some extra frames in games and probably squeeze a bit more life of your system. In order to OC though, you may have to change the PSU to a 600W one, but only if you have further problems with overclocking.

So, to be extra clear:
1.- Your GPU is not an OC monster and you have to run it at stock clocks (reference clocks) so it doesn't crash.
2.- You can't really OC your CPU because your MoBo does not allow for an easy approach.
3.- You can swap your motherboard to a Z-series and try overclocking the CPU, but finding a motherboard for your CPU will be hard at this point and probably you're better off saving money for a new PC altogether.
4.- If you do get a new motherboard and OC, you may need a better PSU.

I hope that clears the waters.

Cheers!