Question Is it possible an external keyboard can work after spilling coffee on my laptop keyboard?

Jun 15, 2019
So about a day ago i was using my laptop, when i was going to pick up my dog and in doing so knocked my coffee all over my keyboard. Some of the keys are either unresponsive or just broken, meaning if I press “W”, it actually presses “F5”. I took the bottom panel off and there was no visible damage to the hardware, but i didn’t go completely inside because i didn’t want to ruin anything. I was going to order an external keyboard to use instead, but i’m not entirely sure if it will work. Can anybody help me? Will an external keyboard work? Is there a way to fix the laptop keyboard itself?

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
in order asked.
  1. I'll try.
  2. it should. a USB keyboard will increase the chances if the keyboard controller in the system is damaged. unless the computer is very old it is unlikely to have a P/S2 port that shares the keyboard controller.
  3. depending on where the damage is, yes. if its the keyboard itself that is broken replacing that should fix it, if there is damage on the mainboard, swapping that will fix it and so forth.

Last edited:

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
Sorry i was unclear; i spilled coffee on the keyboard built into my laptop- sadly..

no I understood.
the keyboards in laptops are one of the few easily changable parts. a few screws and the ribbon cable and its a done deal. if that is damaged it can be replaced.
if the damage occurred on the mainboard that part can be replaced too, although with more effort than the keyboard.
if the external you get is USB, it will bypass the possibly damaged keyboard controller on the mainboard and still function when connected.

where the damage happened will govern the fix for said damage.

First, I would turn off the laptop and remove the battery. Let it dry out another day or so. 1 day might not be enough time. Then there is a chance the keyboard may come back to life.

If the keyboard doesn't come back to life, I would try to replace the keyboard first. Things like this happen, so keyboards are usually easily replaceable.
What is the exact make and model of your laptop?

If you are uncomfortable replacing the keyboard, the keyboard can't be replaced, or we can't find a replacement available, you could easily buy a USB keyboard and it will work fine unless something like the USB controller got damaged as well.

Jun 15, 2019
The current model I have is the , and i’ve oy had it a year and a half or so. I’ll take out the battery and turn it off, but whilst letting it dry should i take off the panel on the bottom? What position should i put it in and should i leave it open or closed?

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
laptops are only standard to the specific model. so you would need to order the exact model number part you are replacing. much like a fuel pump from a vw bug will not work with a Hummer. the model makes all the difference.

you may go by picture and get a keyboard for an AW that looks just like the one you need but the ribbon cable is on the wrong side of the keyboard. this is but one example I have had to deal with repairing PCs. same part with the little difference and your time and or money has been wasted. measure twice, cut once.

Jun 15, 2019
Yeah I figured. I’m assuming there’s still a way to fix it but i’m not sure i should do it myself- i don’t want to screw ur up anymore than it probably already is.

Logitech k120 wired keyboards can be bought for less than $10
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/MwsKHx/logitech-keyboard-920002478
But the whole point of a laptop is portability, so replacing the built-in keyboard would make a lot of sense. As said above, keyboards are specific to each laptop model so knowing the correct model is crucial.

It might be easy to replace the built-in keyboard but there is a chance it may not. Since the laptop is from a popular brand you might be able to find a teardown video online and then judge whether you are up to the job. If not, a cheap wired keyboard is linked above.