[SOLVED] Is it possible for me to install OSX from Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

kroniq

Reputable
Feb 7, 2015
I've recently purchased a Macbook Pro from a local classified website foolishly without any research or checking anything really other than it turned on and charged. When i did finally sit down to mess around with it, I was devastated to discover they previous owner had installed Windows 7 and seemingly deleted anything to do with OSX? I was wondering if there was a way for me too re-install OSX from Windows or should I just purchase a retail install disk? Thanks in advance, Im pretty new to Macbooks and OSX so any help would be great.

I was lead to believe it is a early 2011 Macbook Pro if that helps lol

Solution
The C key on startup will only show bootable drives that are actually installed on the system. So unless you have a bootable USB device it won't show that option.

If Cmd-R does nothing then it may be that the Mac is rather older than you think it is; or it might just need a firmware update. Catch-22; you need to be in OS X to update the firmware.

Does the MacBook have any model number or serial number to determine its age? And do you have access to another Mac, or know someone who does? They could make a bootable USB stick or hard disk for you.

kroniq

Reputable
Feb 7, 2015

Thanks for the quick response! Will try that now, thanks again!

kroniq

Reputable
Feb 7, 2015
I've tried the Command+R keys on boot but nothing happens. When I hold the options key it only shows Windows, even holding C on boot wont bring up the option to boot from USB any other suggestions?? Would it be worth my time to purchase a retail version of OS X or is there another way?
Wont be buying technology second hand again thats for sure

McHenryB

Admirable
The C key on startup will only show bootable drives that are actually installed on the system. So unless you have a bootable USB device it won't show that option.

If Cmd-R does nothing then it may be that the Mac is rather older than you think it is; or it might just need a firmware update. Catch-22; you need to be in OS X to update the firmware.

Does the MacBook have any model number or serial number to determine its age? And do you have access to another Mac, or know someone who does? They could make a bootable USB stick or hard disk for you.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.